ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

<< < (15/23) > >>

Darwin:
Hmm... I just checked my boot.ini file and it hasn't changed since I installed Windows (August 6), so I don't know that it is changing that field, which in any event is not present.

f0dder:
Hmm... I just checked my boot.ini file and it hasn't changed since I installed Windows (August 6), so I don't know that it is changing that field, which in any event is not present.
-Darwin (November 20, 2008, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
I momentarily forgot that Vista doesn't use boot.ini anymore, but instead the BCD area... thus "bcedit" is used for changing boot settings.

Darwin:
Ah... OK, I've gone through two reboots to check this out and you're right, f0dder. Applying the settings suggested in the newsletter Curt pointed us to results in [NumProc]=2 being added to the boot configuration. When I removed it and rebooted the line is absent entirely.

If anyone else wants to confirm this (after changing settings in msconfig as outlined above) - run a Command window as administrator (Start - type 'cmd' into the search bar, right click the link that appears and select "Run as administrator", click "continue" and then type "bcdedit" at the prompt and hit enter). You'll need to reboot each time to see a change as any changes made in msconfig require a reboot and are not reflected in the BCD area until after a reboot...

J-Mac:
Ah... OK, I've gone through two reboots to check this out and you're right, f0dder. Applying the settings suggested in the newsletter Curt pointed us to results in [NumProc]=2 being added to the boot configuration. When I removed it and rebooted the line is absent entirely.

If anyone else wants to confirm this (after changing settings in msconfig as outlined above) - run a Command window as administrator (Start - type 'cmd' into the search bar, right click the link that appears and select "Run as administrator", click "continue" and then type "bcdedit" at the prompt and hit enter). You'll need to reboot each time to see a change as any changes made in msconfig require a reboot and are not reflected in the BCD area until after a reboot...
-Darwin (November 20, 2008, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really need to look into this! My notebook running Vista Ultimate initially had amazing startup and shutdown times. Much faster than anything I had ever seen on XP.

Unfortunately after installing Vista SP1, my start and shutdown times are now much longer. No added software; only the SP1 update. Startup time is moderately longer. It was scary fast before; now it is maybe 45 seconds to a minute - not bad by XP standards, but significantly slower than Vista prior to SP1.

Shutdown is where I am really seeing delays now. Before SP1 it was also scary fast - I mean within seconds after hitting the Shutdown button I could close the lid; all went dark quickly. Now it takes at least a full minute, maybe a bit longer. I'd have to actually time it to be more accurate. Again, that is without anything else new except the Service Pack running.

No idea what changed with SP1 that would cause this, but I miss the lightning fast starts and stops.

Jim

Darwin:
Well... my OEM install of Vista Sp-1 was like that initially as well. In my case, though, I've installed a fair number of applications so assume that that is the source of the slowdown.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version