ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

<< < (14/23) > >>

Curt:
If everything goes well I will check this in real life tomorrow
- this is (supposed to be) my last day with the old XP of mine :-)

But I apologize for apparently bringing a worthless tip!  :-[
- thanks for telling, f0dder!

f0dder:
Don't apologize, Curt - you're not the one who put this thing on a newsletter :)

And I'm still not ruling out that things could have been changed with Vista, I just find it extremely unlikely, and even more unlikely that it would be turned off by default.

Anyway, as long as you don't set the number below your actual amount of cores, the "tip" should do no harm.

Darwin:
Heh, heh... I googled that tip, didn't see anything AGAINST it so tried it. Result? I swear it significantly INCREASED my boot-time, but otherwise, no adverse effects  ;D

EDIT: it occurs to me that on boot I got the "Windows is Applying Updates. Do not power off your computer" (or whatever the wording is) warning, so that most likely explains the increased amount of time for the computer to fire up. The increased time was evident from the BIOS splash screen to the black screen with the Windows emblem in the middle of it...

f0dder:
Hmmm, really shouldn't increase your boot-time, that sounds pretty weird :-s - is it measurable (with a stop-clock), and is it repeatable? Vista might just have decided to do a boot-time defrag or whatever :)

Which boot.ini field does it set, btw? /NUMPROC, right?

Darwin:
 ;D I edited my post while you were adding your comment, f0dder... I'll have to check the boot.ini field that it set and get back to you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version