ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

<< < (13/23) > >>

f0dder:
Ah, new motherboard - that usually means new chipset, and a BSOD about boot device not being available... a repair-"install" might very well fix that, yes :)

Curt:
Ah, you are in luck, the article (with clear instructions and pictures) is still there:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897 -Shades (May 30, 2008, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was not all comfortable with the small pictures in the otherwise fine instructive article - ("I cannot see which important line the author is referring too, because the pic is too small!") - so I made a version with larger images (and less text) as a supplement. I guess the text in the images shows that the file has been compressed a little too much - sorry:

XPs_No_Reformat,_Nondestructive_Total_Rebuild_...pdf (318.47 kB - downloaded 300 times.)

CleverCat:
You can delay startups with Win Patrol... :D

Curt:
I don't know if anyone else already has given this advice on DC:

Regarding boot time, for multiple cores:

While Vista is loading, only one core is being used. To reduce this boot time, take full advantage of the multiple cores and get the job done quicker. You can force Vista to use all available processors. To do this, please follow this tech tip below:

1. In the Start Menu Search Box type "msconfig". Click Enter.
         (You can also use this shortcut: Windows Key + R)
   2. Navigate to the Boot tab and click Advanced Options.
   3. Place a checkmark next to the box for Number of Processors.
   4. Choose the number of processors you would like to use in the pull-down menu.
   5. Check the Detect HAL box. Click OK.
   6. Check the box that reads Make All Boot Settings Permanent. Click Apply. Click OK.
   7. The System Configuration window will pop up. Click Yes to confirm.
   8. Restart your computer.
-esupport
--- End quote ---
http://newsletter.esupport.com/templates/20081118.html#techtip1

f0dder:
Curt: that sounds like one of those misinformed tips... unless something has changed significantly in Vista wrt. the bootloader (and some things have, but...) this option is actually only used for reducing the number of cores used. Ie., if you're a developer who want to test how your application runs on a single-core machine and all you have is a quadcore.

Even if Vista indeed only used one core at boot time, it wouldn't help much increasing the number of cores used, since bootup is mostly disk I/O and device-initialization dependent... not much that multiple cores can do to help you with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version