ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

<< < (11/23) > >>

Curt:
Yes, but JoeJoe stopped developing StartRight. I use the gratis r2 Startup Delayer, which I dare to recommend, and we have also been presented with the fine $25 Chameleon Startup Manager.

--

My XP is getting more and more unstable by the minute, so to speak, so now my boot time is around twenty minutes! I really like the combination of eBoostr and the startup delayer, it lets me start many more programs than my ½ GB RAM is supposed to handle.

f0dder:
Curt: what type of RAM do you have in your system? You can get 2 gigabytes of DDR2-800 RAM for less than DKK400... and less than DKK300 for DDR2-667. Much better spent than the ~DKK200 for the Pro version of eBoostr, imho...

(Oh, and a reinstall of XP might be a good idea if it's so unstable :))

Curt:
Yes, you are of course right on this, f0dder! But the tower can only hold 2x512 MB so I was thinking about doing nothing at all, and wait until I have the money for a new. And for the other problem: I have not been able to get my hands on a CD for a Danish XP Home, and the one time I did all the fancy tricks (UBCD4Win) and reinstalled, it helped nothing! I am not sure if the original OEM CD was too poor, so I was reinstalling the same errors, or if it is some hardware error, but without a proper installation CD the result is so far the same, I can do very little about it. The PC is too "old" (15 months) and too bad.

f0dder:
Hmmm, "the tower can only hold 2x512mb" - which motherboard do you have? Even 15-month old motherboards should be able to support RAM block sizes > 512meg. But anyway, even adding another 512meg block would help you a lot - I dunno if that would end up more expensive than getting 2x1024meg blocks though, prices of some of the older memory modules have risen because they aren't manufactured anymore (you don't want to buy DDR1 ram today :)).

You can't install directly from the old OEM CD? (If you do, make sure you have the SP2 or SP3 full installer lying on a CD/whatever, and unplug your network until the service pack has been installed, and the firewall turned on - otherwise your machine will be infected somewhere between 10 seconds and 10 minutes after install).

Curt:
- thanks for the advices, f0dder.

I should specify that I don't have any inst'-CD at all; XP came pre-installed without disc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version