ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

<< < (21/23) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks, Darwin.

Boot-time is now 2 minutes,  (more and more programs! How does this happen?). Not fast.
-Curt (December 01, 2008, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have 335 programs installed under XP (as reported by Your Uninstaller! 2008 with screensavers and windows updates excluded from the list) and my boot time is about 2 minutes. What I've done is leave the XP machine as my "play with software" environment and (try to) keep the Vista notebook as a work machine with about 140 programs installed. It boots in under a minute, though I've not actually timed it. I'm pretty careful about loading anything under Vista - I don't want to slow it down! So I test any applications under XP first. Doesn't help too much if there are different installers for Vista and XP, but it's served me well so far... Of course, I have the luxury of doing this because all of my computers are notebooks, so I can run two or more of them simulataneoulsy (I use Synergy to use a common keyboard and mouse - kind of cool to zip between OS X, XP, Win2K and Vista  ;D).

Curt:
- sounds cool, too, Darwin :-)  even more when I understood you also are driving Mac with the same keyboard & mouse! It has been 15 years since the last time I tried to even touch anything from Apple! ;-)  I cannot remember hotkeys so I don't bother to try again - I demand my context menu!   :D  Other than that, I was impressed with the speed, 15 yrs ago; how is OS X comparing to Vista, regarding boot time and loading-of-apps time?

---

I also had a dream about keeping this new Vista free of all the indifferent programs I have introduced to both Win2k and XP. Both were heavily under-powered, 320 MB RAM for Win2k, and 448 MB RAM for XP's 700+ programs, so it was easy to think "next time, less programs", but Vista seems to have so much more power coming from this "super-fetch" and the 4GB RAM, so someday I may have a lot of programs installed on this one as well!

f0dder:
Curt: you didn't actually run 700+ programs at the same time, do you? Only the running apps sucks up ram :)

Curt:
oops! Sometimes it really is hard not to be misunderstood  :D

As I recall it, I usually never had more than 80 processes running at the same time.

nontroppo:
Other than that, I was impressed with the speed, 15 yrs ago; how is OS X comparing to Vista, regarding boot time and loading-of-apps time?-Curt
--- End quote ---
On my hackintosh Dell workstation (2GB)[1], OS X Leopard (with more programs installed) used to load approximately 2.5X faster than Vista (after grub had done its thing). It shut down approx 2x faster too. On my macbook, OS X is again >2x faster than XP at startup. Also, one of the brilliant things about OS X is it doesn't seem to get slower the more software you add. I remember spending so much time keeping XP optimised (as many here do too), and my macbook XP is really spartan (it just really runs Matlab as its core duty, I guard against installing too much stuff otherwise), but my Leopard install is filled with trying just about every piece of software under the sun; yet Leopard never slows down over time (except when using iStat Menu which slows startup down enough I don't run it on my laptop).

----
[1]Interestingly, the hackintosh loaded Leopard faster (~40secs) than my current monster Mac Pro (~50secs)...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version