ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is your boot time?

(1/23) > >>

zridling:

Out of curiosity, because I know there are lots of variables here.

jgpaiva:
In my case, that depends. Until i get to the windows logon screen, it's pretty fast (10 seconds?). But then, from the moment i input the password until it fully stops.... A whole minute (or more!) goes by.

Unfortunatelly, i still can't find who to blame for that :(

J-Mac:
I've had boot lag issues for quite some time here.  I spent some time trying to find a utility - any utility - tha would log all events during bootup but there doesn't appear to be any.  MS Bootvis, which is not supported by MS since XP was released, can do this for some users, but I have found that it cannot complete its goal if you are running a dual core processor, which I am.

Process Monitor is supposed to be able to do this also, but each time I try it crashes before I even get to a boot.  (Thought it was just my PC but I see others now having the same issues with ProcMon).

Other than those two I can find nothing that gives a good picture of just what occurs during boot up. Should be something that can tell you what starts in what order, and where any head-banging occurs - if any - during boot up.  Seems like pretty valuable info to me, but no one else seems to care much about it!  I remember last year asking if anyone knew of any such app and I got a few seemingly condescending posts telling me that XP manages its own startup well and if mine is not then I have apparently been misbehaving with my PC. So I just quit that thread!

So in this age of knowing everything that goes on in our PCs, boot up activities are still nothing more than a guessing game.  Weird!

Jim

Renegade:
I'd say over 2m, but not because the actual "boot" takes that long, but because I don't want to do anything until all the startup software is loaded, and that's more than 2 minutes. The boot itself is less.

What you mean by "boot" may be different depending on how you look at it. Boot as for the OS, or boot as for 'ready to use with everything loaded'?

J-Mac:
Renegade,

I guess then that I mean Yes, and Yes! The boot itself is close to the two minute mark - I would have to time it but my perception is that its right around there.

And if I add my startup items, well - it's tough to say now.  I am using Chameleon Startup Manager to delay a number of startup entries; that way they get spread out and all are not banging heads trying to beat each other to the finish line.  So excluding all that I have a delay set for, it is probably about another two minutes at least after the bootup itself is done.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version