topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 10, 2024, 4:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Auto-convert PNG to JPG in clipboard  (Read 11635 times)

timmy2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auto-convert PNG to JPG in clipboard
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Is there a small Windows app that will enable me to copy a PNG image to the clipboard and automatically convert it into a JPG ready for pasting into another app?

I'm thinking of an app like Puretext, which converts any HTML or other formatted text on the clipboard to "plain" text, and you can paste the converted text by using the key combination Windows-V instead of CTRL-V. In other words, copy using CTRL-C as always, Puretext does its magic, then Windows-V pastes the converted text... like that, except I need an app to convert a PNG to JPG in a similar, automatic fashion.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auto-convert PNG to JPG in clipboard
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 08:48 AM »
timmy2

There is no need. When you copy it to the clipboard it is a bitmap and can be pasted anywhere.

Can you provide an example of where this doesn't work?

trw

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Thanks for responding, tinjaw.  Here's an example: in iTunes, select a track in your library that has an album cover. Right-click on the cover and select Copy. This will put a 600x600 image on the clipboard.  In MediaMonkey or Mp3tag paste the clipboard contents into the album cover box and you'll see that it's a PNG image instead of a JPG. It embeds into the track fine, and when you extract it to a file the resulting file is a PNG. That's what gave me the impression that it starts as a PNG and remains one throughout. I've read elsewhere that a PNG embedded in an MP3 can cause problems for some players, so I'd rather avoid that format.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:13 PM »
iTunes is *storing* the image as a jpeg and Media Monkey is *storing* the image as a png. but you can cut and paste freely.