ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Thoosje Quick XP Optimizer

<< < (7/9) > >>

cmpm:
Thanks Curt,

It didn't change any Visual Effects, but I only have 5 of them checked.
So for someone that may have them all checked, it could change that.

And I'm staying with version 1.0 for now.
Just to see what else I can find.
If anything.

cmpm:
Run this Curt, if you are familiar with this kind diagnostic stuff.
And still having problems with your computer.
It has a beginner, intermediate and advanced modes.

http://runscanner.net/

Discussed here a little bit.
I've been using it for a while and it works well.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9683.0

f0dder:
Yep, but it registers the last timestamp for everything, whether is an user peeking at the file, or a program accessing it. Programs like jv16 PowerTools or TuneUp Utilities use that timestamp to decide if they should delete a temp file or not, so that's why I don't use it. Of course, all files residing in the TEMP directory are mostly safe to delete, but those programs search for files in other parts of the filesystem.
-Lashiec (January 31, 2008, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
If wiping out %TEMP% breaks an applicaiton, it's time to fill a bug report to the developers (the exception is if you've just installed something and haven't rebooted yet).

Leaving "last accessed" timestamp on just to be able to clean up a few files? Not a chance in hell, too much of a performance hit.

In System Properties-Advanced-Performance-Settings-
Advanced Tab, Under Process scheduling-
TQ Opt. changed it to having the processor to -
Adjust for best performance-*Background services*.
I had it on Programs
The Memory is still set to Programs.

My paging file is still set to the same settings I had it on.
-cmpm (January 31, 2008, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Humm, setting the scheduling to "Background services" should actually make your system a bit less responsive... what it does is controlling the "quantum" (or timeslice) that programs are allowed to run before they're pre-empted. Background Services = longer timeslice = worse for most people.

Setting memory usage to "System Cache" is a good thing if you have at least a gigabyte of RAM and don't use an ATI graphics card (or rather, their buggy drivers).

PhilB66:
@f0dder

Any experience with "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" tweak? Does it really improve perfomance?

Darwin:
Yes, X-Setup Pro is what I've been using for years, precisely because it's very safe and it specifies what it's going to do. What's more, the code for every plugin is available at the click of a button.-Lashiec (January 31, 2008, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for XSetup Pro  :Thmbsup: I've been using since long before it became shareware and it's the only tweaking tool I use (other than TweakUIXP), for the exact reasons Lashiec states (though having the code available at the click of a button is completely lost on me  :-[).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version