topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 9:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Few Suggestions  (Read 3912 times)

dudekracked

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Few Suggestions
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:29 AM »
Hello

I'm new in using FARR, and i really liked it a lot, i have two suggestions that i don't see in FARR v1 and i think others will also like to have in v2. These are based on FARR v1, I'm not sure if its already suggested for v2.

Suggestions

1.) Group History - this basically works like the speed dial of opera, unlike in the history of FARRv1,these would be permanent in their ordering and numbering. In group history option, you can create and edit groups (e.g. applications, office, photos) which you can assign several programs. In each group, you can assign permanent programs from 1-9  (e.g. office group  1. word 2. excel 3. powerpoint 4. notepad 5. 6. and so on...). with this you don't need to type let say microsoft word if it is not on the history list.

i just downloaded today beta of FARR v2 and there you can set ctrl+space or alt+space to launch FARR, i suggest using the ctrl+space for group history.

2.) Option to animate FARR trayicon - when i first launched the beta version of FARR, i didn't exactly expect to see a different trayicon (the big F), but I'm really surprised and impressed to see an option where you can change the icon, and there are a lot of icons to choose from. actually I'm looking for a way to hide the tray icon, (to make it more like part of windows) although after seeing the option to changed the icon and plenty of icons, i doubt it was considered. nonetheless, i don't mind having the robot in the trayicon. my suggestion here is to animate the robot, to make it look like the robot is finding and running something.

Thank you and good luck to your project.

update:
there is a group/aliases in FARR v2 which is somewhat like my suggestion, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 06:43 AM by dudekracked »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Few Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Regarding 1...

That's the way farr worked before hotkeys were added, and you can reproduce it again now.
Here's how to do it:
1 - Create a group and name it something (i call mine startup ;)).
2 - Go to Options -> hotkeys menu and edit ctrl-space
3 - Select "Set search text below"
4 - Add "startup" (the name of the group you created) to "Text For Search Edit Box" (ok... that description SUCKS!)
5 - press ok :)

Now, when you press ctrl+space, farr will come up with "startup" already written :)
PS: you'll probably want to select the "highlight search text below" so that you can still write away when you open farr.

Regarding 2:
Now that's a funny idea! :)

dudekracked

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:45 PM »
wow, thanks jgpaiva! ;D

i can't wait for the release of FARRv2
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 07:47 PM by dudekracked »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:29 AM »
Oh, i didn't read your post correctly.

If you aren't using farr v2, you definitelly should, it's an immense advance over farr v1.

Still, on farr v1, you can also have a group as start text, i just can't remember exactly where the option is :(