ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

windows security - what's really necessary?

<< < (5/10) > >>

Target:
BTW, something that I'll install soon: DropMyRights. Now this thing is useful, and it does consume zero resources.
-Lashiec (January 30, 2008, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why stop there?  

I usually set my privileges to user (OK, <i>power</i>-user...) - this should stop (some?) nasties from installing/running, and
I can log in as the administrator if I need to...

Target

Stoic Joker:
BTW, something that I'll install soon: DropMyRights. Now this thing is useful, and it does consume zero resources.
-Lashiec (January 30, 2008, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why stop there?  

I usually set my privileges to user (OK, <i>power</i>-user...) - this should stop (some?) nasties from installing/running, and

Target
-Target (January 30, 2008, 09:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
The Run as... command works wonders if a user has a project open that they can't close.

Folks - I haven't forgotten this thread, I'm still following it, but I've been to busy (working) to get back and clairify my rant.

@CodeTRUCKER  No I'm not advocation sticking ones head in the sand and ignoring the threats, and yes I do understand the point and dirrection of your analogy (I thought it "fit" quite well). :)

Lashiec:
Why stop there?  

-Target (January 30, 2008, 09:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I run all time as an administrator, because of various reasons like I'm very lazy to create another account, press Windows + L to change to it, recreate all the options of my apps for another profile, don't know how many privileges I lose with a limited account (as I like to tinker with the innards of the OS while doing something unrelated), etc.

Besides, DropMyRights would only be used for Internet-facing apps, which I feel is a good thing, and doesn't demand too much from me (setting up a few shortcuts and it's all done). It's a good compromise, zero effort, some security benefits.

J-Mac:
Lashiec:  That sounds like a good idea.  I hate running as a user because I am quite often - like multiple times daily - performing tasks which require Admin rights, and I guess it might be a bit of laziness on my part, too.  I hate "double-doing", meaning that when logged in as a user and I start to do something that requires admin rights, I forget which I am logged as and get some steps done before realizing that I cannot complete them.  Then whether I log out and back in as Administrator or use "Run as...", those steps are lost, or some services, etc. that I need to access to complete what I am doing cannot be done unless I log out and in again.  So I usually just login  with Admin rights from the start.

Drop My Rights looks to be a potentially nice compromise!

Thanks.

Jim

f0dder:
I followed the DropMyRights link, and ended up at Microsoft. I'm attaching one of the graphics files from there, to save you the external URL clicking. Anything odd striking you? Considering that this image comes from an article at MS? :-*

windows security - what's really necessary?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version