topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Spam filtering  (Read 18938 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Spam filtering
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Gmail just rocks!

I'll add another vote for GMail, I have six accounts with them all used for different purposes.

Besides leaving them on GMail I also use Thunderbird to download and keep a local copy for when I want to refer to something but don't have net access.

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Spam filtering
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 10:41 PM »
So, er, what do you do? Set up all your pop mail accounts to be filtered through GMail and then set your GMail account as the only incoming e-mail account through Outlook? Then use rules to sort from there?

That's exactly what I'd do in your place.
But let me mention a potential downside to that approach: you'll have to check GMail via web once in a while to check GMail's Spam folder and make sure there are no false positives there. Admittedly, it's very unusual, but it's happened to me a couple of times.

Two other spam-fighting techniques that I've found effective:
  • Using my hosting provider's bayesian antispam service (I'm not sure which engine they use, but I think it's SpamAssassin) to flag messages suspected to be spam and then mix that "flag" with my e-mail program's own bayesian filters. It sounds more complicated than it actually is, and it's been very effective for me. Of course, this only applies if you have a hosting provider and manage your own domains and e-mail addresses. BTW, my e-mail program is Barca
  • Never EVER fill an online form with a real/permanent e-mail address. I use SpamGourmet to automatically create temporary addresses that forward a certain number of messages to one of my real e-mail accounts before they "self-destruct"  :)

By using all of the above (incluiding Google's filtering on my GMail account) I'm currently achieving around 99% efficiency at spam filtering, and less that 15% of the messages I receive are actually spam.

Just my 2 cents ...
I'll have what she's having
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:45 PM by city_zen »