ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Spam filtering

(1/6) > >>

rjbull:
What are people using to stop spam?  I'm currently using Mailwasher, but not all that happy with it; insufficiently keyboard-friendly, downloads the entire contents of my mailbox every time - I leave quite a lot on the server  - and now seems to have decided to delete mail it thinks is old, even though I haven't told it to.  Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I can't immediately see ways of changing these settings.  I do like the idea, though, of deleting spam from the server, and never having it in the e-mail client.

Any other suggestions, please?

Thanks in anticipation...

Josh:
I've suggested it in other threads, Spamato. It combines multiple filtering engines with a highly customizable user interface configured via a web browser at http://localhost:8574

justice:
k9 was my choice before i moved to gmail. Bayesian filtering, low on resources, intercepts mail before you download it and learns from your classification. But its a different way of working from mailwasher.

iphigenie:
On the free/open source side I used popfile and was always impressed by its abilty to not only spot spam, but also learn the difference between private, work and commercial emails for prefiltering. I also had trouble at some point getting it to work on a new machine.

So I switched to the "paid" side I used the blue squirrel "spam sleuth" tool for a while, and that combined a lot of different approaches (multiple filters, bayesian, challenge response etc.) in a nice package, but it was a bit high maintenance to manage. (another one i almost bought was spameater, again quite a good mix of methods)

Now I am on imap so I just use what comes with the service

justice:
Yep if you use mail that comes with your webhost you should ask around, for example my webhost offers spamassassin and some other anti spam features, which I use to filter out the most obvious spam on some accounts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version