ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for web based or book based help on Windows / Linux servers

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
In the dim and distant past I did a lot of user support/training work and also installed minicomputer systems, standalone computers and wired networks in educational institutions.

In recent years I have struggled to find work as a teacher (partly because of where I live) and so recently I started looking to set up my own company providing Home User and Small business support locally. This has partly been in response to numerous local contacts who have encouraged me after helping them to sort out their computer problems.

I am quite happy with the idea of supporting individual workstations and access point or peer-2-peer networking but anything to do with server based systems and I am out of date.

Most of the face to face courses you see advertised are silly prices and way out of my range.

Does anyone know of any good websites and/or books that provide a good basic introduction to setting up and maintaining small server based systems that would get me up to speed quickly (both Windows 2003 and Linux would be useful). Ideally I would like it to be as jargon free as possible (or at least explaining the jargon used rather than assuming you already know what they are talking about).

Cheers

Renegade:
Hello Carol,

Just a few suggestions, but try the ASP, AISIP, OISV and JoS. There are lots of very helpful people there.

For Visual Studio, try www.learnvisualstudio.net. Good site, but sometimes a bit easy. I bought the $99 lifetime membership, but haven't used it enough so far. I won't complain though. $100 is nothing to pay for the right information to get you going. It will make you 10x times that easily in a short period.

I think those are a few good places to start.

Don't forget about the MSDN forums too.

I hope that helps.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks - that's a great site but I am not really looking for stuff on programming (although I will bookmark that site for future reference).

Rather I am looking at how to set up and configure network servers (such as Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition) for use (eg) as a file server (Active Directory etc., policy setup, distributed installation etc.) and also as a web server (and I'd be interested in similar stuff for Linux based servers).

I know and have used MS based training materials and reference manuals but they are always written in a way that assumes you don't actually need to read them (except perhaps to refresh your memory on something). They are always full of acronyms and jargon that is never explained and I simply find the style a complete turnoff.

Something that is genuinely aimed at getting a knowledgeable Windows user getting started on setting up server based networks for the first time and then maintaining them would be brilliant but I don't seem to be able to find anything that fits the bill.

While I am on the subject I have downloaded the 120 day trial version of Windows 2003 Server Enterprise and installed it in a virtual environment. It works fine and the domain server I have set up is recognised on my desktop host operating system in the My Network Places. Anyone got any idea how I log in to the server from the host destop OS (Windows XP) ?? Or how I can connect via another desktop on my Workgroup based network. I have tried creating a new network connection but it only seems to offer the option of workgroup computers (not domain servers) in the network connection wizard ???

invenit:
Does anyone know of any good websites and/or books that provide a good basic introduction to setting up and maintaining small server based systems that would get me up to speed quickly (both Windows 2003 and Linux would be useful).
--- End quote ---

Hi Carol -

Not sure about Windows, but SpiderTools advertises their linux server courses at DistroWatch.com. Here's their link - http://spidertools.com/index.html

Good luck with your venture!

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for that link - it looks like the kind of thing I need to do but I really can't afford it at the moment. I'll bookmark it and once things start to bring in some cash it might well be worth considering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version