topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for web based or book based help on Windows / Linux servers  (Read 10661 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In the dim and distant past I did a lot of user support/training work and also installed minicomputer systems, standalone computers and wired networks in educational institutions.

In recent years I have struggled to find work as a teacher (partly because of where I live) and so recently I started looking to set up my own company providing Home User and Small business support locally. This has partly been in response to numerous local contacts who have encouraged me after helping them to sort out their computer problems.

I am quite happy with the idea of supporting individual workstations and access point or peer-2-peer networking but anything to do with server based systems and I am out of date.

Most of the face to face courses you see advertised are silly prices and way out of my range.

Does anyone know of any good websites and/or books that provide a good basic introduction to setting up and maintaining small server based systems that would get me up to speed quickly (both Windows 2003 and Linux would be useful). Ideally I would like it to be as jargon free as possible (or at least explaining the jargon used rather than assuming you already know what they are talking about).

Cheers

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for web based or book based help on Windows / Linux servers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Hello Carol,

Just a few suggestions, but try the ASP, AISIP, OISV and JoS. There are lots of very helpful people there.

For Visual Studio, try www.learnvisualstudio.net. Good site, but sometimes a bit easy. I bought the $99 lifetime membership, but haven't used it enough so far. I won't complain though. $100 is nothing to pay for the right information to get you going. It will make you 10x times that easily in a short period.

I think those are a few good places to start.

Don't forget about the MSDN forums too.

I hope that helps.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:49 PM »
Thanks - that's a great site but I am not really looking for stuff on programming (although I will bookmark that site for future reference).

Rather I am looking at how to set up and configure network servers (such as Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition) for use (eg) as a file server (Active Directory etc., policy setup, distributed installation etc.) and also as a web server (and I'd be interested in similar stuff for Linux based servers).

I know and have used MS based training materials and reference manuals but they are always written in a way that assumes you don't actually need to read them (except perhaps to refresh your memory on something). They are always full of acronyms and jargon that is never explained and I simply find the style a complete turnoff.

Something that is genuinely aimed at getting a knowledgeable Windows user getting started on setting up server based networks for the first time and then maintaining them would be brilliant but I don't seem to be able to find anything that fits the bill.

While I am on the subject I have downloaded the 120 day trial version of Windows 2003 Server Enterprise and installed it in a virtual environment. It works fine and the domain server I have set up is recognised on my desktop host operating system in the My Network Places. Anyone got any idea how I log in to the server from the host destop OS (Windows XP) ?? Or how I can connect via another desktop on my Workgroup based network. I have tried creating a new network connection but it only seems to offer the option of workgroup computers (not domain servers) in the network connection wizard ???

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 10:25 PM »
Does anyone know of any good websites and/or books that provide a good basic introduction to setting up and maintaining small server based systems that would get me up to speed quickly (both Windows 2003 and Linux would be useful).

Hi Carol -

Not sure about Windows, but SpiderTools advertises their linux server courses at DistroWatch.com. Here's their link - http://spidertools.com/index.html

Good luck with your venture!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:35 AM »
Thanks for that link - it looks like the kind of thing I need to do but I really can't afford it at the moment. I'll bookmark it and once things start to bring in some cash it might well be worth considering.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:28 AM »
This might be useful for what you are saying.

http://www.dummies.c...bcat-NETWORKING.html

It's helped me a bit.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Trouble is things have changed a bit since NT servers. There is a 2003 version but it doesn't get good reviews on Amazon for the basics.

I am looking at buying Mastering Windows 2003 Server which is published by MS. Has anyone actually used it? It runs to 1700 pages and there is second volume on Active Directory !!! I've seen some good reviews but they are from professional network people studying for exams.

Rapidly thinking of a major U-turn on this <jibber jibber>  :-[

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:54 AM »
I have 2 great books to help people pick up linux/unix quickly

Unix for the Impatient
and
UNIX System Administration Handbook (or its sibling Linux Administration Handbook)

They are accessible and cover a lot of things in a practical, useful way
(didnt want to link to any one store so borrowed pics from amazon instead)

When it comes to servers / security I have a few more, will check my librarything inventory and post an update

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 02:48 PM »
Thanks I'll check the latest Linux one I think - looks good and good reviews on US Amazon.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Don't forget the Linux Documentation Project:
For full-fledged books (html and pdf formats available) especially the Linux Network Administrators guide, if you're looking into networks and servers:
http://tldp.org/guides.html
For quick-and-dirty advice on specific subjects:
http://tldp.org/HOWT...TO-INDEX/howtos.html

Another one I like a lot, though it is showing it's age (especially in the chapters about X...) is the mighty Rute Book.
Google's cache of the html version (get it before it's gone):
http://72.14.205.104...ooks/rute/+rute+book
or the PDF:
http://www.tech-geek...nuxWorkshop/rute.pdf
or the hardcopy:
http://www.amazon.co...nology/dp/0130333514

Also, a quick-and-dirty tutorial on Using Ubuntu as a file server/internet gateway/etc using the wonderful Webmin to configure and manage it, look here:
http://linuxgazette.net/141/lazar.html

Hope this helps!

invenit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Here's a link to a huge portal of training tutorials/resources http://www.intelligentedu.com/

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Thanks guys - some useful stuff there.

Following a few links I found these which look helpful:

http://labmice.techt...com/MCSE/default.htm &
http://labmice.techt...m/MCSE/mcsecheap.htm

http://www.networkco...orial/homepage.shtml

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 06:40 AM »
Anyone got any idea how I log in to the server from the host destop OS (Windows XP) ?? Or how I can connect via another desktop on my Workgroup based network. I have tried creating a new network connection but it only seems to offer the option of workgroup computers (not domain servers) in the network connection wizard ???

What you are looking for is a Remote Desktop Connection. It is Microsoft's version of VNC or an X session over SSH. It will allow you to connect to the server and control it as if you were in front of it.

As for books for Linux, I think I might have what you are looking for. Take a look at the Craig Hunt Linux Library. They are a bit old, but not out-of-date. The basics are still the same years later. The nice thing about that is that you can get some used copies dirt cheap. I suggest you start with the book that started the series Linux System Administration.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Thanks tinjaw for the Linux references.

Actually what I was wondering was how to login to the server as a user. I figure I haven't got the thing set up properly yet as I need to set up the domain settings. I'll get there in the end.

I bought a copy of a book (about PC maintenance and upgrading desktops and laptops) which came with a very useful overview of Wired and Wireless SOHO networks. I didn't learn much that I didn't already know (which was reassuring) but it had an excellent history of PC netwroks which felt like a walk down memory lane ;)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 07:03 AM »
Actually what I was wondering was how to login to the server as a user.
I'm not sure what you mean because that describes several different things. All of them involve creating a user account on the domain, but then differ from there depending on what you are trying to do.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 07:40 PM »
I set up a user on the Windows Server (in a Virtual Machine). I can see the server in the host operating system but can't see how to log into the server as the user I created ?? I think I need to go through setting up Active Directory in the server so that there is a domain to log into - but I am not too sure how to do that .... yet!

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 07:54 PM »
I set up a user on the Windows Server (in a Virtual Machine). I can see the server in the host operating system but can't see how to log into the server as the user I created ?? I think I need to go through setting up Active Directory in the server so that there is a domain to log into - but I am not too sure how to do that .... yet!

Carol, I am confused. You just login to Windows Server like you would any other box. You had to login as Administrator to create the user account. You just do it the same way.  :huh: Can you attach a screenshot? Maybe that will clear things up.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 05:25 AM »
Sorry I don't mean that - my fault for describing it so badly.

I want to login via my desktop computer (the host operating system) as a user of the server running in a VM on the same desktop so that I can play in the host operating system as though it were a network client of the server. The only way I can get my desktop to display a login box is to logout but then that shuts down the server.

I suppose I could try switching users and leaving the server running in the background.