topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with AnVir Security Suite?  (Read 16215 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone familiar with AnVir Security Suite?
« on: January 27, 2008, 01:15 PM »
Hi all. I recently discovered this program. It seems to have some very useful features, but I have never heard anything about it. I would appreciate any information about this program anyone would be willing to contribute.

Thanks, Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone familiar with AnVir Security Suite?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:30 PM »
link please.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:38 PM »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:40 PM »
do you mean antivir?

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 01:50 PM »
www.anvir.com

I'd tried their startup monitor a long time back and found it to be a resource hog, I _think_ this was on an older P3 machine so it may not be so bad now. Feature-wise I was quite impressed with it, it did the same job as Mike Lin's startup monitor but was a bit smarter (and a LOT slower.)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:05 PM »
link please.

http://www.anvir.com/securitysuite/

This is NOT the Avira AntiVir software, but Nosh got it right. The above link will take you directly to the page for the security suite. Also, this program is not freeware. The cost is $39.95 and you can download a 20-day demo version.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:10 PM by KenR »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Darn nosh, you beat me to it :)

I was googling a bit about it, and frankly, I don't know what to think. The site looks fishy, but then I'm Mr. Paranoid. No information on Castlecops or Wilders Security Forum about it, apart from entries about their executables (classified as safe) and HijackThis logs, SiteAdvisor flags the site as clean. They also did a really good SEO work, because Google is oozing with links to download their programs in every site you can think about (90% of them must be delivering malware, as always).

But it seems safe, for the little information I have found. It really bugs me, though, that there are tons of links leading to a download, but not a single snippet of information. Handle it with care.

Also, those Microsoft certifications, no information about the company, hmmm... AnVir Task Manager was featured in GAOTD, but that's like saying nothing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:13 PM by Lashiec »

maks13

• Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:20 AM »
It is nice app I like it very much :)
Startup monitor and task manager are fine!  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:15 PM by maks13 »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 07:33 AM »
[edit] thought it antivir - seems it's something else altogether - sorry bout that [/edit]

do you mean antivir in general or what Lashiec (i.e. what is this "it" you talking about :tellme: :))

Anti-Vir anti-virus is supposed to be one of the best although it has a reputation of finding a lot of false positives
The rest I dont know about

[edit] thought I'd just leave the post anyway cause I'm sure lots of people think the anvir is just a typo! [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:13 AM by tomos »

maks13

• Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:55 AM »
anvir and antivir are different companies

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 02:09 PM »
I bought this AnVir Security Suite few months ago. It is nice app I like it very much :)
I don't rely on its antivirus engine, but startup monitor and task manager are fine!  :Thmbsup:

Thanks for the input Maks13. I have never seen any other program that provides as much information about processes and programs as it does.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:09 AM »
AnVir Security Suite is first and foremost a fantastic task manager, and only then a... a task manager! It is by no means to be confused with a stand-alone anti-virus program!

I have a copy of AnVir Task Manager PRO and in many areas I think it is even better than Process Explorer! Way to go! So when my license for NOD32 ran out I was asking AnVir for a upgrade price to their security suite because the advert said that the (only) difference between the task manager pro and the security suite is "Antivirus scanner. Anti-rootkit tool." (and the price). But the answer from AnVir simply said:

Hello,

I can give you a link to upgrade.
But actually AnVir Security Suite is not an antivirus, it detects only most popular viruses.
So I would recommend you to choose another antivirus, for example Avast or AVG which are free for home use.

AnVir Software

So there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth.

---
Compare editions: http://www.anvir.com...-windows-startup.htm
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 10:15 AM by Curt »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:37 PM »
AnVir Security Suite is first and foremost a fantastic task manager, and only then a... a task manager! It is by no means to be I have a copy of AnVir Task Manager PRO and in many areas I think it is even better than Process Explorer!

+1 on that point. Very nice process manager, delivers oodles upon oodles of information. I also like the convenient access to service management. Process Explorer is probably better for monitoring resource usage over time, etc., while AnVir Task Manager Pro gives more details about processes; I use both depending on what I need.

The name can indeed be misleading, but it's nice to see the developer talking straight and giving an honest answer.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:11 PM »
it's nice to see the developer talking straight and giving an honest answer.

"+1 on that point."  :up:

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 06:12 PM »
This is a personal experience with the company.  I have no idea if it is indicative of the experiences of other customers.

I own a license for their TaskManager Pro.  I had frequent crashes and system slow downs.  Every time I removed media from my card reader it would pop up an error about being unable to access the media any longer.  There was no reason why it should have been accessing the media.  The only way to get rid of the error would be to reinsert the media or shut down TaskManager Pro.  I emailed the company about the problem 3 times over a three week period.  The first email went unanswered.  The 2nd and 3rd were returned with an error stating that their mail servers had rejected the email because of the domain it was sent from.  This was especially troubling since I was sending from gmail.

I gave up, uninstalled it, and went back to Process Explorer.

Carl

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 02:07 AM »
- that was a terrible experience, Carl ~ my deepest sympathy!

However, most support is given via  http://www.anvir.com...um/viewforum.php?f=4 , not per email.

Also, I can plug and unplug my drives as I want to; no reaction from Task Manager Pro!

Finally:
I just *looove* Process Explorer and am using this, not Task Manager Pro, instead of Vista's task manager. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:12 AM by Curt »

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 02:18 AM »
However, most support is given via  http://www.anvir.com...um/viewforum.php?f=4 , not per email.

The company lists a support email here http://www.anvir.com/contacts.htm, so I assumed it was an acceptable way of getting technical support.  If I recall, their forums were getting hammered with spam at the time I was trying to contact them so that didn't seem to be a good way to get help.  It does look like they have control of their forums again, so maybe I just caught them at a bad time.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 02:32 AM »
- my wording which you quoted was not 'good': My own support was via email. So it is doable.

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 06:53 AM »
I'll second Curt's recommendation. I've been using AnVir for a while now and it is fantastic! It's the best process manager I've seen and it's great for debugging software that doesn't work. Anvir shows you all the exe's and dll's called by a program in realtime while it's executing. And it has a host of little niceties such as a listing of most recently launched programs and opened folders for easy access to them. And it monitors a number of processes including cpu usage and the temperature of your HD!