ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

12 Crazy old ads!

<< < (3/4) > >>

Renegade:
i remember seeing an old book titled "it's ok to smoke" from my uncle's collection. (btw, he didn't smoke) ;)
-lanux128 (January 27, 2008, 11:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

????  :tellme: ????    :o   ????

Holy murphy!

It's "ok" to chase the dragon too...  :huh:

mwb1100:
In case anyone's interested, just a little background on the "killed in action" ad.  World Peaceways was an anti-war pacifist organization between WWI and WWII.  Here's the text from the ad:

He's going to grow up to go to war?

No - he's never going to grow up at all.  If another war comes, he and his mother and thousands upon thousands like them are going to "die in action".

"Impossible!" you say. "They're non-combatants." Don't be silly - there'll be no such thing as non-combatants in the next war.

Wide-cruising submarines and bombing planes will laugh at front lines.  Gas - gas so powerful that one drop on your skin will kill you - will not be particular whose skin it touches. There will be no haven, no sanctuary, no safety. Everone will suffer.

And for what? Glory - where was it in the last war?

Victory - where was it in the last peace?

With that cruel lesson still fresh in mind, is another war to be forced upon us - a war infinitely more horrible, more futile, and more lasting in its harm than the last?

That is for you to decide.

What to do about it

Hysterical protests won't avert another war, any more than will "preparedness".

Civilization must build its own defense out of human reason and intelligence, properly organized and applied.

To every reasonable and intelligent man and woman in America goes the responsibility of doing his or her share to avert the coming war.

World Peaceways offers a practical plan of how you can help. Write for it. There is no obligation involved in your inquiry, except the obligation to your conscience and to your conviction that there must be no more wars.  World Peaceways, Inc., 100 Park Avenue, New York City.

--- End quote ---

Renegade:
In case anyone's interested, just a little background on the "killed in action" ad.  World Peaceways was an anti-war pacifist organization between WWI and WWII.  Here's the text from the ad:
...snip...
-mwb1100 (January 27, 2008, 11:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That ad (from my own eyes) could easily be used today. The issue is eternal and won't go away for a long time. Replace the graphic and modernize the font... Pretty much done at that point.

However, what you posted for the ad and the text there seem to be a bit different. There's a reference in the graphic to "1914-1918", but not in what you had. Perhaps there were different versions of it?

In any event, that one I certainly wouldn't paint as "crazy". Perhaps a vivid reflection of the time, but certainly not a crazy ad by any means. Crazy would be advocating war... Oooops! We have ads like that today!  :o

mwb1100:
what you posted for the ad and the text there seem to be a bit different. There's a reference in the graphic to "1914-1918", but not in what you had. Perhaps there were different versions of it?
-Renegade (January 28, 2008, 01:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right - I couldn't read the text in the one posted on oddee.com.  I googled around to find one I could read (with a bit of difficulty - I think it's time for a visit to the eye doctor).  It looks like the text on oddee.com differs after the "What to do about it" heading.

zridling:
I can't talk. I did save up and buy this Charles Atlas book based on the ad. I didn't go around smacking people, but I did work out for a week.

Charles needed to do some more squats.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version