topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bits Du Jour and GAOTD one-day deals  (Read 27665 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bits Du Jour and GAOTD one-day deals
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:28 AM »
Many of watch Bits Du Jour and Giveaway of the Day.  I especially like Bits,
the other day I purchased Backup4All from Bits, and I have been finding a product every two weeks or so that I consider a good purchase choice. On Giveaway I enjoy the discussions with all the references to this freeware and that shareware, and why the current giveaway is so schlocky (with some notable exceptions).

Since those are all short-term one-day giveaways (Bits we know a few days in advance) can we stick all their "Deals and Discounts" on a "One-Day Deals and Discounts" separate section, next to this one, so that they don't flood this thread from its more long-term discounts ?

If this post should be on a different forum on DonationCoder, move it along :-).  However it would be good to be seen here, since a lot of us check this thread most frequently, not wanting to miss a solid deal !

Shalom,
Steven

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bits Du Jour and GAOTD one-day deals
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:37 AM »
Good idea. Maybe a Sticky thread each for BdJ and GOTD.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:29 AM »
Come Friday, 1'st of February, Bits du Jour will offer Advanced WindowsCare PRO:

Advanced WindowsCare Professional

Deal Price: $15.87
You Save:48% - List Price:$29.95
NotifyMe.gif

A System Utility for Superior PC Health

Advanced WindowsCare Professional Edition is an award-winning, comprehensive utility suite that provides an automated, always-on, all-in-one PC Healthcare Service.

The suite includes an anti-spyware utility, privacy protection and encryption, performance tune-ups, and a variety system cleaning capabilities. With Advanced WindowsCare Professional Edition, you can "Install It and Forget It". The application completes it's processes automatically and runs quietly in the background.

Advanced WindowsCare Professional Edition gives you the ability to keep your computer safe, error-free, and running at it's top speed and optimal performance level.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Yup - great idea, Steven  :Thmbsup: When I'm going through the links for the newsletter I have to be vigilant about these kind of links because, obviously, come newsletter time they're "dead".

Curt - I'm sure Givewayoftheday featured that app a few months back.... OK twice actually, once in February 2007 and again in June 2007. Here's the original giveaway comments section (1) and comments section (2). I dimly remember downloading and installing the original giveaway. Seemed OK, but redundant given the other solutions I've already paid for!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Yes, Darwin, and I (too) had it for free back then. But I don't have it anymore, because I think the registry cleaner is (was) removing too much!

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I think a sticky would be a great idea.  I have purchased quite a few applications through bitsdujour.  And let's not forget woot, though that not software.  I very rarely even bother with the giveawayoftheday and their games offerings, however they occasionally offer something really good, so I check them daily (I have both GOTD and bits feeds on my start page).

Carl

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 04:53 PM »
How about a locked sticky that has their dynamic signature thingy that automatically tells you what the deal of the day is, how much time left, etc.?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 05:41 PM »
I don't like the idea about sticky links. When 'we' post about some giveaway / offer it is because we have an opinion abouth the program being offered and we want to tell that THIS giveaway / offer is different from all the others.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 05:50 PM »
How about a clickable automatic Bits du Jour and Giveaway ticker somewhere so that every day people see what is on offer?

For example:

Today's Offers ..... Bits du Jour: SunlitGreen Photo Editor .... Today's Offers  .... Giveaway of the Day: RQ Search and Replace ...
Don't know how easy it would be to write a little script to read the daily titles (the URLs obviously stay the same).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 05:54 PM by Carol Haynes »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 05:58 PM »
I agree with curt, people here either know about or quickly learn about sites like bits du jour and can choose to subscribe to the site or not.  people who have experience of, or have heard great things about some particular offer i think would be best.  Otherwise donation coder could/would be seen as an affiliate type site which I think mouser has rejected in another thread.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 06:22 PM »
I didn't read Steven Avery's original suggestion as others have interpreted it. I thought all he was suggesting was a separate board for these types of postings. They could still be posted as new topics with opinions and responses... I kind of like the idea, for the reason mentioned in my first response as much as anything else (though give me time and I'm sure I can come up with other entries into the "plus" column for this idea).

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:05 PM »
My too sense:

1. I agree with Curt. Mention here makes an offering on one of those sites noteworthy (for the good OR the bad).

2. Sorry Carol, I hate tickers. Distracting and annoying.
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:30 PM »
I also didn't get the impression that we were going to have a place where every single offering that comes down the pipe is advertised.  I was thinking more along the lines of a certain place that people could post about interesting programs, good deals, etc that wouldn't get lost in here with all of the longer term offers.  That way, someone will know immediately that there is a timetable for the offer.

Carl

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 07:47 AM »
But what would make the difference between such a thread and the one we already have? Doesn't Found Deals and Discounts say what it should say?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19 AM »
As there are a couple of places on the web that offer daily deals (GAOTD and Bits being just two), would it suit to have them as child boards of Found Deals and Discounts?

I agree about any automatic scraping of those sites though, I'll visit if I've time or I appreciate a DC member recommendation.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I was envisioning a child board of Found Deals and Discounts called something like: "Daily Deals". Perry's idea is good as well, though - have a Bits du Jour child board and a GiveawayoftheDay childboard. But then what do you do with short term deals from other sites/vendors?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I was envisioning a child board of Found Deals and Discounts called something like: "Daily Deals". Perry's idea is good as well, though - have a Bits du Jour child board and a GiveawayoftheDay childboard. But then what do you do with short term deals from other sites/vendors?

No you're right Darwin, I don't think you'd really split them: having a Daily Deals type thing is more what I was thinking (just not typing); then all the short term deals can go together (which is really what we want isn't it?)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I feel that there is no need for a sticky. As we see deals we particularly like we can post them as we have been. If you want to see everything available from sites like BdJ and GOTD, subscribe to their RSS feeds. We only need to talk about them here on DC if they are noteworthy.

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 09:41 AM »
Bravo!  :Thmbsup:
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Hi Folks,

Right.  I wasn't suggesting any extra attention to Bits and GAOTD than they have now, if something is special it will be noted, otherwise we can check ourselves.  Simply that they would have their own thread, and we would know only the stuff at the top is "live" (Bits looks ahead a few days).

Let other "short-term" deals stay here, since most of those are still for awhile.  Only organized short-termers, including Woot and "1 Sale a Day" should be on the "One-Day" thread. 

The thread (sub-forum or equal forum) could be called "One-Day Discounts".  And we know that Bits has a look-ahead feature, so the current discussion could be about a day in the future, but the past will be, as they say, history.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:01 AM by Steven Avery »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Still sounds like a good idea to me, Steven (and that's exactly how I understood your original post)  :Thmbsup:

iconico

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 11:01 PM »
First off let me thank you all for your continued support of Bits du Jour. I'm the owner of the site and it's great to see it discussed here and we really thank the community for making it what it is. I just wanted to make a quick plug for our latest endeavor: Daily Deal Affiliate Web-Stores. In a nutshell you can now place all our deals and reviews, rss and newsletters on any website, seamlessly branded and easy to set up. All info is here:
http://www.bitsdujou...x?page=partners.aspx

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 07:25 AM »
Welcome to DC iconico  :Thmbsup: Nice to see you here.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 08:16 AM »
Welcome to DC iconico

a rather late welcome?  :P  :

But he is offering an impressive amount of programs:

Cardio Calipers - Cute Context Menu - Data Extractor - DiskAnalyzer Pro -Easy Sweeper - Email Extractor - Extraction Pack - HTML Text Extractor - Quick Runner - Screen Calipers - Screen Compass - Screen Protractor - Screen Tracing Paper - Sleepy - WebTools Pro

- I wonder if he wrote all of them himself?  :-\

However, Screen Measurement Pack (Screen Calipers, Screen Protractor and Screen Compass) was mentioned in his first post almost a year ago. I for one would sure like to see this bundle offered at Bits du Jour again!  :up:

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Still sounds like a good idea to me, Steven (and that's exactly how I understood your original post)  :Thmbsup:

+1 Still sounds sensible to separate short term and longer term specials  :Thmbsup: