ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Attention Mod

<< < (4/13) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
App, your "No" vote has been heard loud and clear, but in all fairness I was offering the idea to the "Community." 

I would like to hear what others have to say. :)

CodeTRUCKER:
How about a button along side the user name (like the current set of icons on the left) that displays when someone is online - clicking on an online button would send an instant invite (pop up) to join the IRC chat? Users could have the option to disable the icon in their user profile if they don't want to get invited.
-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2008, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Carol, a button would be a good idea for calling someone to IRC in real-time, but as the "sought member" might not be online/available in real-time the "call" might not be "heard."  Also, even if a "You have been called to...." it would "summon" a member to the thread, but there still remains the reason why the member was sought?  This is why I was suggesting some free-form method that would allow the text of the reason for the "call" to be included.  Like App has said, we don't want to bother or take advantage of those we receive help from unnecessarily.  I'm thinking providing some explanation in the "call" could allow the "Guru" to determine how, when, or ever they would respond to the "call."   Any thoughts?

Frankly, I think your button idea to request someone to join IRC is splendid in itself! :Thmbsup:  Maybe we should split this thread and see what the community thinks of your idea?  :)

f0dder:
I (very!) often miss private messages, for some reason - even though they do crop up in my email client. I dunno if I overlook them, or if I actually do read the email notify and then forget about it. But it happens all the time :-[. So something to "alert" me via forum PMs certainly wouldn't work. For some reason, I don't forget about regular emails as easily, though :-\ :huh:

Dunno about the mod idea... I personally usually get around to most threads since my main way of browsing the forums is the "show unread since last visit", so unless there's a very dull thread title, I usually see stuff :)

PS: I'll see if I can find time to reply to your PM tomorrow, CodeTRUCKER, I only read (or re-read?) it right now, but I'm heading off to bed :)

Darwin:
Perhaps this could be something similar to the "Show new replies to your posts" page?
--- End quote ---

In light of f0dder's comments about PM's going astray/unanswered/overlooked, perhaps my earlier suggestion (quoted above) deserves consideration? Essentially, a mod of this type would add another link underneath your username at the top of each page and would take you to a list of recent requests to join conversations. I guess at this stage this would be a fairly large undertaking, come to think of it, because we'd have to come up with another PM type system wherein a poster could click on the "send this topic" link at the bottom of a thread and select an option to send an invitation to another user...

OK, I guess I've talked myself out of my own idea  :o

CodeTRUCKER:
This thread is still alive and well, so anyone who has thoughts, please play right through and offer your perspectives and ideas.  :)

I have been working with App's idea to use the "Send Topic" button that is on the bottom of every thread. The benefit is it is already in place. :Thmbsup:  This means no need to build from the ground up, only some adjustments would need to be effected.  Our Tech Staff will be happy with this, provided the "adjustments" aren't to taxing.  If the changes were simple enough, the mod could be used very soon.  Here are the present caveats and some ideas to overcome them...

Caveats

* The "Send Topic" button is to vague IMO.  It does call attention to the thread, but it is impotent to direct the Recipient to the post where assistance is needed.  I don't think it can be assumed that the Recipient can just go to the bottom of the thread to locate the post.
* If anything is invasive, The "Send Topic" surely qualifies.  As a Sender I, personally, would not want to use my email address.  Actually, I'm not sure what SMF was thinking when they came up with this.  Perhaps the email address is for verification.  Whether it is or isn't the mail that is sent to the Recipient does show the Sender's email address. 
* The requirement to have the Recipient's email is a no brainer, so that's all I'll say.
* The interface for sending needs a face lift, specifically the email boxes would need to be removed and the "Comment" box should be enlarged from its present 20-character length to see the whole comment.
Remedies

* First change needed to make this mod effective as opposed to just usable, would be to have the "Send Topic" button modified or create a "Send Post" button on each post (as Carol suggested).  This would make the notice to the Recipient surgical in locating the specific call for assistance.  Since the Recipient would be essentially offering a service, I think it would courteous to make their life easier by giving them a direct link.  :Thmbsup:
* As App stated, a change that offered an option to send via email or PM has merit.  After the removal of the email address boxes, the Member's forum name would need to be the only information requested for the Recipient.  The Sender's forum name already populates the dialog, so it would not be necessary to have anything other than that, i.e., no password should be needed, but the added security of requiring the password is never a bad idea.
* There should also be an "override" available to the Recipient.  Presumably this would/could be an option within each member's profile.  Some Recipients might even prefer both or none.

FYI - If the "Send Topic" could be cloned and modified as suggested above, it would fulfill the criteria for this mod as it was originally envisioned.

The only two things left to do is to see if...

(1)  Anyone else wants it and would use it or if there are other ideas.

(2)  See what the Tech Staff that would have to do the work, has to say about the "doable-ness" to put it in operation.

Remember: the window to offer your comments and/or ideas is still open.  Please feel free to post them regardless of the above discussions on this board.  This is your Community and anything you have to offer is welcome! :)[/list][/list]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version