ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Attention Mod

<< < (2/13) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Ah! I just stumbled across a real-time example of where this idea would be useful.

Carol Haynes:
How about a button along side the user name (like the current set of icons on the left) that displays when someone is online - clicking on an online button would send an instant invite (pop up) to join the IRC chat? Users could have the option to disable the icon in their user profile if they don't want to get invited.

app103:
I can see how this idea can become very annoying really fast, with people calling you to a bunch of different threads, and even demanding your attention on a thread you might be avoiding for personal reasons.

Under the right circumstances, for some members, something like this could be quite invasive and a royal pain in the butt, and could even cause some to avoid the forum.

I really don't like this idea for a forum mod.

Darwin:
Interesting idea. I confess that I was conflicted reading your initial idea because on the one hand my first reaction was the same as apps: that's what the PM system is meant to do. However, on the other hand I instantly appreciated first how useful this would be and second how many times I would have benefited from it in the past! Not being a coder by any stretch of the imagination, I've no idea how difficult such a mod would be to get up and running, but I think it is an idea with merit  :Thmbsup:

App - I wasn't aware of your deskbar; will take it for a spin!

Couple of posts have come in as I pecked out the above:

App - good point. Perhaps this could be something similar to the "Show new replies to your posts" page?

OR

maybe it could tie in to, and utilize, the PM system? Some sort of code like: [PM=CodeTrucker]I wonder what CodeTrucker would think of this idea?[/PM] in the body of a posting that sends a PM to CodeTrucker with the text enclosed in the code along with a link and the subject line of the thread? I envision it having a built-in error return if the username entered isn't in the DC database...

Darwin:
PS I like Carol's idea as well - there should be an opt-out option available for those who do not wish to be disturbed. Maybe the mod could even be set up something like Yahoo!'s newsgroups where  you can choose to be alerted for each request to join a thread individually, or be sent a digest daily or weekly that includes the relevant posts (or at least the one that contains the requet for an opinion/advice/website address, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version