ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Attention Mod

<< < (6/13) > >>

jgpaiva:
I also use the same method as f0dder, check every thread through the "unread topics".
Thus, something like this would be sort of redundant for me, since someone would be calling me to a thread that i already have or will read.
App's comments were exactly what i thought the first time i read this, some mod like this would sort of eliminate the "plausible deniability" which can be useful in some situations.

Imagine this situation:
Someone opens a new thread on coding snacks that i find too complex/impossible to do. I don't answer, as i wouldn't add anything interesting other than a "sorry, i can't do it" comment.
Then, if someone comes and says "hey, i can't do it, but maybe jgpaiva can do it?", then i have to reply and say "no, i can't do it".
Then, we have 2 replys saying "can't be done", and someone who actually could do it might be intimidated, or might think that it's being solved already (if he only noticed that it already had replys and didn't read them).

Another situation is where i keep some coding snacks unanswered, but keep the thread open on opera (opera is like my online todo list, the open tabs are kept open through sessions and keep the stuff i'm supposed to do in the future), so that if i have time, i'll do it in the future or if i don't, i ditch it. This system would force me to say "oh, i think i might do this", and then i'd feel bad if i didn't.

See what i mean?

nosh:
I can see someone like f0dder getting a lot of these SOS thingies....  :)
Hmm... I wonder if we could manage to link this mod up to his bedside alarm clock!  :P

PhilB66:
I wonder if we could manage to link this mod up to his bedside alarm clock!  :P
-nosh (January 26, 2008, 08:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not a problem, modify this one

Darwin:
Just thinking out loud here...

I like the "Send this topic" idea and would suggest a new button be available when you receive one of them that is a simple "Thanks for the invite, but I cannot participate at this time." This would then be promoted as the socially acceptable way to decline to participate *for what ever reason", no time, not in the right headspace, you secretly despise the person sending the invite, whatever.
-tinjaw (January 26, 2008, 04:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I like this because if we let it be the "conventional" (socially acceptable) way to decline to participate, it would be considered a complete and sufficient response - i.e. no other action on the part of the invited user expected or necessary.

nosh:
This is trivial but I'll mention it anyway...

How about a way to acknowledge a regular post as read...

I'm often caught between saying something (when I have nothing to say) just to acknowledge a post or being silent and thereby possibly being perceived as rude...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version