ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Attention Mod

(1/13) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Maybe this is already in effect, but in 15 months of participating/lurking on this board, I have not seen it.

What we're talking about is a forum modification/device/method that will "call" any particular member to a discussion rather than just hoping they drop in.  Here is a tangible example.

Imagine being in a thread where the issue of servers arises and no one on the thread is particularly versed in servers, it would be beneficial IMO to be able to "call" f0dder.  You might add to the bottom of your post in that thread...

"Attention:: @f0dder@ - we need assistance with some aspects of servers, can you help?"

The next time f0dder logs in or if he is online and clicks to the next page a similar window to the announcement that he has PMs waiting would alert f0dder to check his "call box" or display the "call" with a suitable link that would allow f0dder to go directly to the thread and offer whatever he would.

Likewise if there was a discussion on UltraEdit, a "call" could be dispatched for @zridling@ and @mrainey@.  A discussion on Microsoft could call @Veign@ and one on Python might "call" @tinjaw@, etc.  Oh and we would need @CarolHaynes@ if we had a discussion on the English equestrian scene. :)

I am sure you get the idea and I think there would be great value with instant R.O.I. rather than relying on chance, but this is only my view.  I can tell you I would have used such a mod twice yesterday, if it had already been available.

What do you say?    Could you have used it? :feedback:

[Disclaimer - the use of "f0dder," "zridling," "mrainey," " Veign," "tinjaw" and "Carol Haynes" are only for example due to their related involvements with the subjects and does not suggest that they should be involved in any way.]

<edit> added disclaimer, spelling and formatting </edit>

app103:
Hmmmmm....

Don't we already have a private message system that can serve that same purpose?

CodeTRUCKER:
Hmmmmm....

Don't we already have a private message system that can serve that same purpose?
-app103 (January 25, 2008, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

It could, but the message isn't necessarily private and leavig the thread to post a PM might be counter-intuitive.

I was seeking something more intuitive so it would be used.  Given the member being sought was not on the thread in the first place,  you know what effort would be involved in setting up the links to have available for the "sought member" in his/her PM.  I don't see that as an incentive to calling needed help.  Still if that is the method, I'm game.

Maybe I'm just dull, but in 15 months of being at DC, your suggestion never ocurred to me. :-[ 

I stated above, I could have used this tool.  I'll use your suggestion as a test case.

Reporting back...

Here is what was involved with using the PM for this purpose...

Here are the steps I used in "calling" tinjaw to a thread involving Python.  We'll assume we are already in that thread.  I will also use what short-cuts I am aware of, but keep in mind others might not be familiar with them.  I'll flag these points with "**" and expound.

**(1) I acquire the thread/post address by right-clicking on the title link and "Copy link address."  (A novice may not be familiar with this.)

**(2) - Since I need tinjaw and he is not in this thread I can't just click his "PM" icon under his name.  (I know I can click on ayone's PM icon and chage the name, but again a novice might not understand this.)

**(3)  Now I am in the PM and it is addressed I leave tinjaw a message that says something like, Hey tinjaw... I can Python be used in LINUX for a text title formatter/inserter?  See this thread <right-click and paste thread/post link here>.  Thanks in advance  for the help! - Calvin  (Once again, the novice might not know the "right-clicking" options)

Take a look at the time stamp of the this post and the "Edit" time-stamp below.  Ok, I'm slow, but it would still take a number of steps and time to accomplish the "call."  On the othe side, it would require an extra step to get to the needed location.

Agreed, the PM is a viable tool for this purpose, but like I said, my hope was to have a tool that would be intuitive so it would be used.

Even if this idea never gets off the ground, I learned something! :Thmbsup:  Thanks, App! 

<edit> for clarity </edit>

app103:
This is where something like the deskbar really comes in handy.  ;)

No need to wander off the page/thread you are on.

Type in the member's name (or part of it), change the dropdown to 'Members', and click the search button. It will open a new browser window that you can use to locate the member's profile and send the PM from there.

CodeTRUCKER:
This is where something like the deskbar really comes in handy.  ;)

No need to wander off the page/thread you are on.

Type in the member's name (or part of it), change the dropdown to 'Members', and click the search button. It will open a new browser window that you can use to locate the member's profile and send the PM from there.
-app103 (January 25, 2008, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link.  That will be pretty handy!  For this application, there are still plenty of steps.  Maybe it will grow on me as I use it more.  Maybe my idea would be too much work to put it in operaton.  I certainly wouldn't want to unduly burden any of the tech staff.  I wonder what they have to say about it?

Attention:: @mouser@, @Gothi[c]@, @Wordzilla@ - Can you help over here?   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version