ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

MS Word's "screen tips" hell -- I want them back for my comments!!!

(1/2) > >>

Armando:
I lost my "screen tips" in Word 2003.

They're really useful because of all the comments I insert in my documents : these comments are normally instantly available via "screen tips" (or tooltips) when i hover my mouse on top of the highlighted portion of the text.

1- I've enabled (+ disabled and reenabled...) "screen tips" in Tools --> Customize --> Options.
2- I tried reverting to the original normal.dot template... (just in case).
3- I tried exiting word, reboot...

They do work VERY briefly for manually inserted screen tips  (via the "insert bookmark" option), But still don't work for comments.

:wallbash:

Any ideas???

lanux128:
try deleting your normal.dot and let Word re-create them.

Armando:
Thanks lanux! I tried that before. Actually,  if I let Word recreate a new normal.dot, the tooltips will reappear, but only for the newly created documents (using the new normal.dot). I guess I could reassign this new normal.dot to the old documents, but... that would create a real formating mess. Between these 2 evils, I'll choose to have no screen tips!

There might be another solution though, but it seems that my templates are somewhat corrupted. I'll try to see if I can purify my old templates... I'll try the VBA Code Cleaner and other stuff...

lanux128:
hmm.. i wonder where else is the settings saved? anyway try this: KB822005. i also remember there is a command-line option to repair the registry settings.

lanux128:
another useful link: Troubleshooting Word with SUPPORT.DOT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version