ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TheBat email client v4 (early alpha) - some observations

<< < (8/9) > >>

f0dder:
Humm,

I'll upgrade to 4.0 when it's final & stable, but I dunno if I will pay for 4.1. Instead, I'll probably migrate my entire existing email base (including the couple of years from PMMail2000 that I have in .rar files) to some mail archive/indexing system, and change client to Thunderbird with IMAP. IMAP is friggin' great.

I've found that I don't really use m/any of the more advanced TheBat features, the menus are too crowded, and I sometimes find it a bit difficult to find whatever setting I'm looking for. I also don't like how difficult it is to get mails exported to a standard format (you have to go folder-by-folder, Ctrl+A, export to mbox... no automated way of doing it).

On the other hand we have Thunderbird, with a very nice & clean interface, probably all the features I need, with an extension system that seems pretty well-thought?, and using mbox files by standard. No, mbox files aren't the best solution once your number of mails grow, which is why I'll be moving off messages to an archive/indexing system on a monthly or quarterly or whatever basis. But mbox does have the advantage of being a very++ standard format.

marek_mikus:
Humm,

I'll upgrade to 4.0 when it's final & stable, but I dunno if I will pay for 4.1. Instead, I'll probably migrate my entire existing email base (including the couple of years from PMMail2000 that I have in .rar files) to some mail archive/indexing system, and change client to Thunderbird with IMAP. IMAP is friggin' great.

I've found that I don't really use m/any of the more advanced TheBat features, the menus are too crowded, and I sometimes find it a bit difficult to find whatever setting I'm looking for. I also don't like how difficult it is to get mails exported to a standard format (you have to go folder-by-folder, Ctrl+A, export to mbox... no automated way of doing it).

On the other hand we have Thunderbird, with a very nice & clean interface, probably all the features I need, with an extension system that seems pretty well-thought?, and using mbox files by standard. No, mbox files aren't the best solution once your number of mails grow, which is why I'll be moving off messages to an archive/indexing system on a monthly or quarterly or whatever basis. But mbox does have the advantage of being a very++ standard format.
-f0dder (January 25, 2008, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I understand You, if You do not take advantage of The Bat! features, but upgrade fee after almost 4 years is not something, I could blame a developer of such app. many apps I have requires 1year or 2years subsription and I do not use them as often as The bat!

I have tested many clients and there is no chance for me to migrate, if I would a reason to do it.

There is no client with such template system and macros set, with such security features including S/MIME & PGP & GnuPG, with virtual folders and filtering system, with system shortcuts and menu/toolbars customiser.

And big problem for me is eastern europe charsets support and localisation, this is drawback of apps like Eudora or Pocomail, which have major problems with this.

f0dder:
S/MIME never worked for me in TheBat!, tells me that the messages are invalid or something...

Virtual folders are a cute enough idea, but if the search is powerful & intuitive enough, I don't need them.

marek_mikus:
S/MIME never worked for me in TheBat!, tells me that the messages are invalid or something...
-f0dder (January 25, 2008, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

this is strange, we must use it in communicatiion with government institutions and it works for years... They have OE, so in The Bat! it is needed to select MS Crypto API and The Bat! will use certificate store of Windows

Virtual folders are a cute enough idea, but if the search is powerful & intuitive enough, I don't need them.
--- End quote ---

why search if You have virtual folders created for the most used searches? :-) I have many accounts, so I have virtual folder for all Inboxes in all accounts and only todays messages are displayed. Second virtual folder is for company employees, third for all flagged messages, fourth for my projects etc.

f0dder:
--- End quote ---

this is strange, we must use it in communicatiion with government institutions and it works for years... They have OE, so in The Bat! it is needed to select MS Crypto API and The Bat! will use certificate store of Windows-marek_mikus (January 25, 2008, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, we have something similar, although S/MIME is not enforced. When I cilck on the little padlock icon on an S/MIME message, I get to enter my passphrase. Then the list of file attachments for that mail include a couple of new files. If I try to click any of those, I get an error box saying "Can't decrypt this message. Failed to parse PKCS#7 data object.".

--- End quote ---

why search if You have virtual folders created for the most used searches? :-) I have many accounts, so I have virtual folder for all Inboxes in all accounts and only todays messages are displayed. Second virtual folder is for company employees, third for all flagged messages, fourth for my projects etc.-marek_mikus (January 25, 2008, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah okay, that's pretty useful. For my needs, simply filtering incoming messages and dropping to another mailbox folder is good enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version