topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: starting a revolt against Opera. Worth it?  (Read 17327 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: starting a revolt against Opera. Worth it?
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Codetrucker, first of all: yay for your idea of tagging files! :Thmbsup: I like tags; it all started with mp3s and their genre tag

Anyway, I use linux and I don't think we have an implementation of AHK for linux yet.

I could invest 40 EUR and give my old laptop 50% more ram, maybe that'll allow me to use firefox more smoothly...

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Codetrucker, first of all: yay for your idea of tagging files! :Thmbsup: I like tags; it all started with mp3s and their genre tag

Anyway, I use linux and I don't think we have an implementation of AHK for linux yet.

Ah!  I have used LINUX before (SuSE 8?), but my life/business needs have directed a return to Windows.  Once I get this utility working in my world correctly, It might be iteresting to see if it could be ported to your world?  We'll see?  I am never satisfied with just standing on my previous works.  I always like trying a new challenge!  Porting this as yet unrealized utility to LINUX would definitely be a challenge.  Keep it in mind though, I might call on you for some trials if I get that far, eh?  Man, my to-do list is really starting to grow!

I could invest 40 EUR and give my old laptop 50% more ram, maybe that'll allow me to use firefox more smoothly...

3 Rules of Computers
  • RAM = GOOD
  • More RAM = BETTER
  • Most RAM = BEST!
... but you already knew that! ;)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 11:17 PM »
codeTRUCKER,

Python is a viable option for this task, and would make it easier to port to other OSes from Windows. However, it would probably be easier to do for Windows in AHK, or AutoIt, as they are tuned for that environment.

I would suggest a three staged approach. First, mock-up the whole thing on paper or with your favorite drawing program. Figure out the workflow. Work out what info is needed and when in the process it is needed. As well as how you wish to display it. Second stage would be to prototype it with AHK. Get a GUI built, but don't worry about making it perfect and provide basic functionality. For the third stage, get as much feedback as you can from other users and decided if you like AHK enough to continue with it or to try Python (or something else).

Just a note for you or others that may be reading and interested in possibly doing something like this in Python. If you want to interact with Windows close to natively, use Mark Hammond's Win32 Python Extensions.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Third: do you know of a way to always show "Details" when bookmarking a page?

Just came across this yesterday