topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Another related app : Mayk  (Read 8669 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Another related app : Mayk
« on: October 13, 2005, 05:32 AM »
freeware

http://www.beotel.net/~darkdst/

[found via ShellCity.net]

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another related app : Mayk
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 10:42 AM »
It has a progressive find feature (weirdly seperated from the main interface, press F9 to activate). I just tested it using Filemon, and setting up the same directories to search in that FARR uses. Here are the number of Read, write and open operations for FARR and Mayk for the search of "op" in 5 folders (timing is from the first to last file operation):

FARR: 12806 (takes 3668ms)
Mayk: 2088 (takes 184ms)

Mayk is really fast, living up to his claim that "Find files fast and easy with preposterously fast search utility". Now it is not doing partial file matching (so "op" matches opera but not CD Copier), but I don't see why that should slow things down so much (and shouldn't cause extra disk activity). 

It is maybe worthwhile trying to see how he gets his search operations so blazingly fast (Filemon has much more info available). FARR seems to spend more time in each directory (it traverses the tree more times than Mayk), and querying each shortcut. I wonder whether this slowdown comes from retrieving the icons? If so an option to not show icons seems highly desirable.
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 10:47 AM by nontroppo »

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Interesting comparison.  I agree about the icon option.  I also wonder if you could make your own icon for different file types.  I've found color helps me immensely when trying to differentiate between different things.  FOr example, maybe you could make exe's a green square, mp3's orange, etc (sorry, this is just my synaethesia coming out... and yes, exe's are actually green and mp3's are actually orange).  This way FindRun wouldnt have to search for an individual icon, just put up a generic one.  I think this could be cool.

Why dont we just add 1000's of options and make FindRun into a personal computer?

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 10:55 AM »
yeah frr does some resolving of icons and shortcuts - i probably should do a round of optimization and make sure that im not retrieving information that i don't need to be doing (ie no need to resolve shortcuts or get icons unless they are displayed in the results view).  no reason f+r should do more file operation than is absolutely nesc.  after we get some more core features done ill go through the code an optimize everything.

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 11:21 AM »
after we get some more core features done ill go through the code an optimize everything.

Cool. I'm just pushing on the performance front because my current work computer really does take almost 4 seconds for each letterpress, and I am finding I launch the wrong shortcuts as the list visibly updates, slowing me down (launching the wrong shortcut is much slower than just using the start menu...)

Colour coding seems an excellent idea BTW, we could assign colours to specific folders, file types or groups.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 01:00 PM »
2 things:

1)
the file search code in F+R is clean fast c++ code;

but there are no doubt inefficiencies that are now in there doing things like resolving shortcuts and grabbing icons, and storing long+short versions of filenames,etc.

and i understand that  F+R needs to be as fast as it can be; so i promise that once we get some of the additional search functionality that is pending which will allow better searching for multiple words etc, that i will go back through code and really spend some time making it as fast as it can possibly be.  so fear not, F+R will take a back seat to no app in terms of speed.

2) i don't understand the 4 second for each letterpress comment.  it takes 4 seconds for what to happen?

--

color coding is an interesting idea..

also remember: after you launch a file once, it is stored in the fast launch history for super fast location next time - so only the first time you search for a particular file should take any time at all!

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 06:21 PM »
and i understand that  F+R needs to be as fast as it can be; so i promise that once we get some of the additional search functionality that is pending which will allow better searching for multiple words etc, that i will go back through code and really spend some time making it as fast as it can possibly be.  so fear not, F+R will take a back seat to no app in terms of speed.

I absolutely don't doubt it, your applications are excellent and it is clear to see you are a consumate craftsman!

2) i don't understand the 4 second for each letterpress comment.  it takes 4 seconds for what to happen?

For the full progressive search of my 5 folder locations on each keypress. On my home machine it is 0 seconds (rounded down), but my laptop is much more recent than my work machine.

also remember: after you launch a file once, it is stored in the fast launch history for super fast location next time - so only the first time you search for a particular file should take any time at all!

Yes, this does make a valuable difference.

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Bug tracker link: https://www.donation...cking/view.php?id=81

kfitting: are you really a synaesthete? My flatmate is too, with colours/numbers. I am Neuroscientist so I find synaesthesia fascinating.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 01:36 PM »
Yes I am... numbers, letters, and music in particular.

Kevin

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 05:14 PM »
cool, just hope it didn't impact negatively  in your education (as teachers can be ignorant of it). my flatmate always felt so bad about her math abilities, until I told her she was synaesthetic and we discussed how creative it was to see numbers with colours / personalities. We are all synaesthetic to an extent (and the brain is very cross-connected between sensory modalities), you are simply better at it! :)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 06:44 PM »
No, no real impact on my development.  I didn't even realize it until late middle school or early high school when I tried to explain to my parents a portion of music looked like.  Even then, I think I was more surprised that other people didn't have it than I was that I did.  As far as math is concerned, I'm an Electrical Engineer so synaesthesia didn't impact there a whole lot! 

I definitely wish I had known more about it growing up though.  It really helps with memorization once you think about using it.  I always could memorize math formulas fairly easily because of the colors.  Alas, by the time I started intentionally trying to use it in studies it was mid to late college.  Oh well, live and learn. 

"cross-connected between sensory modalities"??!?!  And people say engineers have their own language!!

Kevin

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 05:50 PM »
:)