topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:13 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AHK Capability  (Read 19988 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
AHK Capability
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:08 PM »
I have not used AHK and am not familiar with the syntax.  I am interested if AHK has any limitations on  outline or "tree" functionality.  If I present a window with numerous/multiple checkboxes and press a "Next" buttion I will be presented with another set of windows based on the check boxes selected where there may be additional selections and so forth.  Here is the logic structure as I envision it...
  • Select A
    • Select A1
      • Perform Function 1
    • Select A2
      • Perform Function 2
    • Go Back
  • SelectB
    • Select B1
      • Perform Function 3
    • Go Back
  • SelectC
    • Select C1
      • Select C1a
        • Perform Function 4
      • Select C1b
        • Perform Function 5
        • Perform Function 6
        • Perform Function 7
      • Go Back
    • Select C2
    • Go Back
  • Select D
    • Close

It is a simple tree, but in some cases above there would have been as many as four more levels to drill down to.

Can AHK handle this?  I am not opposed to learning AHK if it is the best tool. :)  Any comments?

Can AHK build/demolish paths dynamically based on user input?

What language is AHK most like?

Edit - Asked additional questions.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:46 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AHK Capability
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:32 PM »
certainly do-able in AHK, though it seems to me it would be easier to setup and use as a menu rather than a series of gui's

Target

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:40 PM »
There is a free 3rd party GUI editor (linked on the AHK site) which generates a skeleton script. Might be useful for you.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:50 PM »
certainly do-able in AHK, though it seems to me it would be easier to setup and use as a menu rather than a series of gui's

Target

That sounds reasonable, but this application is designed to intercept the standard "Save"/"Save As" Windows dialog, but a dynamic menu option might do the trick once a window is available to put the menu on.   :)

Can AHK build/demolish paths dynamically based on user input?    I know a lot of this depends on the coder.  (FYI - I did add this question to my orig post.)

Thanks for the suggestion!

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:52 PM »
There is a free 3rd party GUI editor (linked on the AHK site) which generates a skeleton script. Might be useful for you.

Thank you, Carol, for that.  Based on Target's response I will check it out.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Some background on what you're trying to do might be helpful here (not quite sure why you want to intercept a dialog box, or what you want to do with it once you have...)

That sounds reasonable, but this application is designed to intercept the standard "Save"/"Save As" Windows dialog, but a dynamic menu option might do the trick once a window is available to put the menu on.   :)

Not knowing what your requirements were I was actually suggesting 'a menu', like a tray or context menu.  The structure can be built to as many levels as you need.  'Dynamic' menu's are possible, though it will obviously depend on your requirements...

Can AHK build/demolish paths dynamically based on user input?    I know a lot of this depends on the coder.  (FYI - I did add this question to my orig post.)

short answer would be yes.  The long answer will depend on your requirements

I'm not an authority by any means, so it might be a good idea to check the AHK forums (lots and lots of useful/helpful stuff/people there)

Target

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Some background on what you're trying to do might be helpful here (not quite sure why you want to intercept a dialog box, or what you want to do with it once you have...)

Sorry for the clandestine nature of my post.  No big secret.  I am attempting to standardize the "naming" of my files by creating a free form title and appending a series of abbreviated tags....

My Favorite Filename + tag1_tag2_tag3 +.txt  (I was inspired by Armando)

Given that there will be an evolution that will require the addition/modification of tags as time goes on my app will need to be dynamic.  The end result will be the ability to locate/modify any and all files any time by searching the filenames for whatever tags I require.   My apps only purpose is to intercept the "Save"/"Save As" dialog to create and format the whole file name to ensure consistency.  Once you hit the "Go" button it would disappear leaving the now fully-formed filename populated in the text box of the dialog ready for me to hit the "Save" button. 

It is my hope that using a utility like this is a good way to help maintain integrity of the file naming/tagging system as it would eliminate things like typos and other human inconsistencies.

Hope this helps clarify my requirements.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 01:03 AM »
My Favorite Filename + tag1_tag2_tag3 +.txt  (I was inspired by Armando)

Cool.

Given that there will be an evolution that will require the addition/modification of tags as time goes on my app will need to be dynamic.  The end result will be the ability to locate/modify any and all files any time by searching the filenames for whatever tags I require.   My apps only purpose is to intercept the "Save"/"Save As" dialog to create and format the whole file name to ensure consistency.  Once you hit the "Go" button it would disappear leaving the now fully-formed filename populated in the text box of the dialog ready for me to hit the "Save" button. 

It is my hope that using a utility like this is a good way to help maintain integrity of the file naming/tagging system as it would eliminate things like typos and other human inconsistencies.

And so I'll be following this, CodeTrucker. Seems like an interesting project. My AHK based system works well but I'm interested to follow where yours will lead you!

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 01:25 AM »
And so I'll be following this, CodeTrucker. Seems like an interesting project. My AHK based system works well but I'm interested to follow where yours will lead you!

Right, me too.  Say, Armando... you did read the part about me never using AHK didn't you?

Note to self
  • Set Armando up for Beta testing
  • Get busy learning AHK or figure out how to get out of this.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 01:58 AM »
I am going to start on this within the week, but I wouldn't mind being pointed in the right direction by some of you AHK veterans.  It would really be helpful.  :)

I would need someone to...
  • direct me to the command(s) to intercept the Windows save dialogs.
  • direct me to the command(s) for sending a string to the filename text box in the Windows save box.
  • Suggest where I might find examples.

The page number in the manual or the name of the command would really be helpful.  I already know some EmergenceBASIC (not to be confused with B-A-S-I-C), so I might end up doing it in that, but I have been interested in getting my feet wet with AHK and this project would be as good as any to start with...er, I think? :huh:

On the other hand, if you AHK pros can see that this is going to take an advanced level understanding of AHK to make it happen, I wouldn't mind a heads-up.  I am specifically referring to interfacing with the Windows dialogs.  I'm hoping I can handle the rest.

Thank you in advance.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 04:58 AM »
  • direct me to the command(s) for sending a string to the filename text box in the Windows save box.
  • Suggest where I might find examples.
1 - winexist
2 - send
3 - ahk help file

:)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Set Armando up for Beta testing

Sure!  :)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 07:13 PM »
there are a couple of window spy tools that might be helpful with the above - you get one with AHK, but a more comprehensive tool is available here (courtesy of Toralf) http://www.autohotke...forum/topic8976.html

Target[/list]

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 04:20 AM »
there are a couple of window spy tools that might be helpful with the above - you get one with AHK, but a more comprehensive tool is available here (courtesy of Toralf) http://www.autohotke...forum/topic8976.html

Related thread.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 06:39 PM »
HA! that's funny

I was just about to post a link to this thread in your thread about window spy tools...

Target

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Just a note to say "Thanks!" for this reference thread.  I appreciate your help. :Thmbsup:

I will try and get a prototype posted soon if time allows.