ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

Idea: TCP/IP Configuration Save/Restore

(1/3) > >>

Tekzel:
I work on people's computers for a living and often find myself having to change their IP configuration as a test for networking problems.  I was doing this yesterday, first I go to a command prompt and do an "ipconfig /all > ip.txt" command so I can restore the config.  I was thinking how cool it would be if I had a little app that I can run that will save that ip configuration to a text file unique to that pc, maybe one named for the machines host name so it will know what was that machines original config and then you can have some presets for other configurations (like a straight dhcp one) you can select and load with a couple of clicks.  Then you can revert the changes with a click or two.  Any geeks want to second me on this one? :)

lanux128:
this was asked before & i suggested this program: Netchange. :up:

f0dder:
Oh, I think I'll grab that program for future use - I was just in massive IP switching bat country today, having to deal with bringing a laptop from one net to another, then configuring brand new access points, then... etc.

Tekzel:
Thats a neat little app, but it doesn't do most of what I want.  It doesn't have the ability to save the current config, only to apply saved profiles.  I read through the linked thread, but there was nothing there either.  Basically what I am looking for is a program that I can save some profiles (mostly 1, a DHCP enabled profile, but more is nice too) and it allows me to store the current ip configuration of the machine and then apply a saved profile, like the DHCP enabled profile.  Then when I am done, it would allow me to reapply the original configuration.

f0dder:
Thats a neat little app, but it doesn't do most of what I want.  It doesn't have the ability to save the current config, only to apply saved profiles.-Tekzel (January 22, 2008, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame it doesn't allow you to save current config. I wonder whether it's because the author doesn't know how to read it, and only knows how to do netsh.exe calls to change config? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version