topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Going insane tring to find SW to fill these needs, I need help  (Read 5000 times)

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was recently reading some sites and following the links at random. I came across an article about a piece of software that will help you burn cd/dvd full buy selection groups of files to put on the disc so as to use the most space (i.e leave the least amount of free space after burning. for the life of me I can not find it again. My system blue screened in the middle of reading it so I have no browser history of that session.

The other problem I have is I use a piece of software called Xecutor.
http://lifehacker.co...r-windows-228198.php
That lets me set start up programs, schedule when to run tasks, and even run scripts etc at shutdown/reboot.  the problem is its been buggy to the point of uselessness lately and is no longer supported (totally gone from the creators site) so I need a replacement preferably in a piece of free ware, but 3 if needed. I've read through hundreds of posts here on the start up programs people recommended but cant find one like this. Plus the threads are mega old and I thought there might be something newer one of you use.

thanks for tolerating my semi coherent rambling here.

P.S: how do i add a link so that in the post if you clicked Xecutor it would take you to the lifehacker post I included ?
When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Going insane tring to find SW to fill these needs, I need help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:43 PM »
[url=http://lifehacker.com/sof...ecutor-windows-228198.php]Xecutor[/url]

Hopefully the above will come through properly (ie won't ACTUALLY create a hyperlink!).

I dimly recall a PCMag utility coming out in the last year that does what you describe in the first part of your post - check here for possibliities.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:44 PM »
OK above "worked"! Oh, and good luck in your quest PaladinMJ!

PS Went looking for the PCMag app I was reminded of and found it: PackEmIn

Caveat: haven't tried it!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:50 PM »
I was recently reading some sites and following the links at random. I came across an article about a piece of software that will help you burn cd/dvd full buy selection groups of files to put on the disc so as to use the most space (i.e leave the least amount of free space after burning. for the life of me I can not find it again. My system blue screened in the middle of reading it so I have no browser history of that session.

was it Burn to the Brim?
Burn To The Brim is a utility which selects the group of files or directories (documents, mp3 files, whatever you like to burn) which optimally fills a cdr or other medium (or multiple CDRs/media).

The program analyses the files and folders in a folder you specify, and groups them in the best possible way. Most likely BTTB will find a near-perfect solution for you within one second, and a perfect one in just a couple more.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:12 PM »

possibly also see LastChance http://www.fileware....ducts.htm#LastChance

LastChance is a desktop utility that provides the facility to run programs when the machine is shutting down. Once the user chooses Shutdown from the Start menu, LastChance will intercept the shutdown request and optionally run the configured programs, waiting for them to finish before continuing the shutdown procedure.

Target

PaladinMJ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:38 AM »
was it Burn to the Brim?
Burn To The Brim is a utility which selects the group of files or directories (documents, mp3 files, whatever you like to burn) which optimally fills a cdr or other medium (or multiple CDRs/media).

The program analyses the files and folders in a folder you specify, and groups them in the best possible way. Most likely BTTB will find a near-perfect solution for you within one second, and a perfect one in just a couple more.

THATS THE ONE OH MAN THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE when I can not find something I know I saw!
Now I just need to solve the other problem. The Startup manager/scheduler/ script runner. Maybe I should look into writing one. God I havent programmed in YEARS. I wonder if AHK is enough?

When I have a mission, it consumes me; I will not be satisfied until the job is done. I have a strong sense of duty, and a strong sense of direction. Changes in the tide don't phase me - I always know which way the wind blows, and I know how to compensate for it. I get on poorly with people like myself.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:41 AM by PaladinMJ »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:37 AM »
Another option to replace the Shutdown functionality of Xecutor is Handy Labs Shutdown Folder. I used to have this installed but found that I never actually used it so it's been gone for a long time, but it did work as advertised when I tested it.

There's a free "lite" version as well: http://www.hs-lab.co...products/df/lite.php

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 08:12 AM »
adding two more options to your 2nd question: ShutDown After and DShutdown.

ShutDown After
sa.jpg

DShutdown