ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

KDE 4 out, and my, it looks gorgeous!

(1/9) > >>

Lashiec:
Oh, look, those Linux guys are receiving yet another update of that impressive-looking KDE desktop thing, and we, poor Windows and Mac OS X users are still trapped with our yesteryear interfaces and operating systems. But fear not, for the KDE guys come to the rescue!

OK, let's get serious, this is an update I've been dribbling about since I saw the first beta, not only for its looks, but also for the metaphor change, and a development in the works which makes another inroad in proprietary operating systems by the use of OSS. I'm going through the Ars Technica review now, and although the first version have some rough points that will be fixed in a future 4.1 version (hmmm, that reminds me of a certain operating system...), it seems these people have a winner in their hands. Take that, GNOME! :P

The best of all is that, thanks to the use of Qt4, versions of KDE for Windows and Mac OS X will be available in the future. I don't know how well would they integrate with the rest of the environment, but I'm eager to find it.

Announcement

KDE 4 out, and my, it looks gorgeous!
The announcement only mentions the most important changes, but some of the possibilities that the new desktop implies are impressive, as for example, the ability to transform Amarok into a modular player, just like foobar2000, using Plasmoids, that's what the individual elements in the Plasma desktop are called. Now, the only one thing we need is a stable Linux distribution to try it with some more time :)

EDIT: Typos, eaten words, etc.

wreckedcarzz:
versions of KDE for Windows and Mac OS X will be available in the future.
-Lashiec (January 21, 2008, 03:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I love the KDE desktop environment! It is so interactive and has so many little cool things you can do with it. And the customization is just amazing. Hope it hits Windows (and Vista) soon! :)

jgpaiva:
QT4!!! Portable!!! Cross-Platform!!!

*jgpaiva* cheers with hopes on a bright new future!

Ok, now seriously:
This is very good news, and i hope i'll be able to test KDE4 on windows very soon (as currently, a look at their page really gives the impression that it's something very unstable)

This is a very good step for the linux people too, if they get more windows people to use kde, linux might get even more users (since the biggest problem is always the interface leap).

jgpaiva:
Ok, i have now read the whole article and i'm very happy with what i read. The term "cross-platform" and its synonyms kept appearing, and i think that's a huge step towards tomorrow's technologies.
Even though it sure isn't a polished project, the ideas look very inovative and interesting, let's now hope people will love it as much as the reviewer did ;)

This is a very well written article, and next time i see an article by Ars Technica, i'll be sure to read it. Thanks lashiec!!

mouser:
Sounds like good news.. but.. hate to be the rotten egg in the box.. but.. those screenshots look ugly to me.. maybe i just like my displays packed tight and full of details.. all that whitespace looks yuck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version