topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vista : included backup and security software  (Read 7457 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Vista : included backup and security software
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:16 PM »
This is a simple question for those currently running Vista. My parents just bought a laptop. I'd like to help them a bit but I'm no Vista expert/user. Therefore, before I uselessly send them looking for extra stuff, I'd like to know what Vista is already capable of, in terms of :

- backup (imaging, incremental...)
- Security (firewall, antivirus)

As it is, is it enough for someone who's NOT very computer litterate to safely browse the net, and backup files efficiently?

Thanks!

PS : any other tangential recommendations will also be appreciated!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vista : included backup and security software
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Well, in terms of security, Vista includes Internet Explorer 7 with a protected mode, which means the entire browser runs in a sandbox, and it has no access to the rest of the system unless you specify it (by means of a dialog), here it's the friendly explanation, and here the technical details. Of course, you're better with a properly configured browser like Opera or Firefox, with ad blocking and everything, but you can add SpyBot's download blocker, which also serves as an ad blocker (yeah, it's strange, but I prefer doing that than adding 80,000 URLs to the registry <_<)

What else? The firewall now has outbound protection, together with some improvements outlined here, to me it looks quite better than the one included with XP, and, as we discussed in other threads, it complements the protection of a properly configured router.

It also includes the lovely UAC. Remember that by using TweakUAC, you can rid of the pesky dialogs, while retaining the rest of the security advantages (IE protected mode, etc.)

Finally, it has Windows Defender, while not being SpySweeper or AVG Anti-Spyware, it's a good product, and monitors the usual hijacking locations, while protecting from spyware. A bad point of it is its lack of updates, which are not even daily, sometimes weekly, and mostly you have to rely on its heuristics from new threats protection. It's also lightweight, which I like, but personally I would choose another app if you can AND if you feel like your parents have enough expertise for handling a more advanced app. Otherwise it's adequate, I've been testing it for a month or now, and no infection problems, even after navigating to some questionable sites, but I think I'll settle for another free alternative, maybe ThreatFire.

I don't know about backups :P

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Thank you very much Lashiec. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

So, all (well, most) things considered, security wise I believe they should be ok from what you said. They're really not heavy users.

I just checked Vista's backup utility and it's pretty *pathetic* -- I'm not even trying to compare it to Leopard's Time Machine, for instance... I'll have to think of an easy way for them to get into the habit of backing up. Something very simple, but still efficient and robust.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Immediately upon receipt of my new Gateway Vista laptop, I installed AVG anti-virus.
It runs better than the preinstalled McCrapAfee.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Immediately upon receipt of my new Gateway Vista laptop, I installed AVG anti-virus.
It runs better than the preinstalled McCrapAfee.

Thanks for the feedback.
For now, I installed the free Avast on my parent's laptop. I still haven't made up my mind about the backup solution...

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:41 PM »
Easy, but efficient and robust. For what I saw when I tried it a while ago, Backup4All could fit the bill, it's quite easy to set up, and it seems to perform well enough. It might be have too many advanced settings though, so maybe someone could chime in and come up with a better alternative.

I'd say that SyncBackSE is not even easy, so you might take it off the list :)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:20 PM »
Thanks lashiec, I'll have a look at Backup4All.

KREVCO

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 08:06 AM »
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I just find it hilarious that MS designs Windows from the ground up, yet they cannopt manufacture a sufficient piece of security software. It's like if everyone bought a Ford, but they immediately went to Chevrolet to swap out the tires after every purchase. Just sad and bizarre,
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:28 AM by jgpaiva »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 08:17 AM »
For file backup, I would recommend the best one I have ever tried : Backup Platinum (http://www.backup-platinum.com/), excellent but expensive (you may find some working rebate coupons here and there).  On the freeware side, GFI backup would be my choice (http://www.gfi.com/backup-hm).

For imaging, I would definitely stay clear of Paragon and I can recommend either :
  • Keriver Image (has a nice recovery CD and USB boot media), not expensive, handles incremental/diff imaging, but no encryption
  • Drive Snapshot : the best one, very versatile (able to exclude files, folders, etc.), only drawback : the recovery CD is minimal and may not work with recent hardware (easy to check), you have to build or get a BartCD or WinPE CD to restore the system partition in an easy way.
  • Macrium Free or Pay version : the pay version handles diff. imaging as well as CD burning, incredibly fast
  • Lastly, a rock solid product : Terabyte Unlimited Image for Windows (the license comes with Image for DOS and for Linux, very useful for building a recovery media)

Regarding A/V, I have currently installed the free Rising A/V on all my machines : very light and seems OK.  www.freerav.com.
.merle1.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:32 AM by MerleOne »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I just find it hilarious that MS designs Windows from the ground up, yet they cannopt manufacture a sufficient piece of security software. It's like if everyone bought a Ford, but they immediately went to Chevrolet to swap out the tires after every purchase. Just sad and bizarre,
Windows now has Windows Security Essentials.

PS: yep, I removed your out of context link. Please try not to spam forums in order to get SEO for that other security company. And hey, I even added a link for a competitor to the thread, isn't that cool? :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 08:58 AM »
Please try not to spam forums in order to get SEO for that other security company. And hey, I even added a link for a competitor to the thread, isn't that cool? :D

Nice touch doing that! :Thmbsup: 8)

I'm going to have to remember to do it next time I run into similar behavior in those places where I'm a moderator.

;D

« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:00 AM by 40hz »