ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Plain text editor for writers

<< < (2/12) > >>

Carsto:
I thought AutoHotKey could be the answer, but it seems not to be.  All I need to do is create diacritics for some vowels.
Installed AHK, left it for a few days (busy), clicked on the shortcut (everything is on a short\cut) and it opened the Notepad editor.  So started working, came back to Notepad and it was gone (mine).  Tried to re-open by click and got the "older version already running " dialog.  For the rest nothing.

Ok, so tried the "Record" scriptwriter - takes editing and saving, but for the rest doesn't want to run.

Ok, so try Windows Explorer - as per instructions.  Filename "Diacritics.ahk".  Right-click on the filename to edit and it shows "Diacritics.ahk.txt".

Before this, read up on remappig key board, SendInput, Transform, hotkeys, hotstrings, clipboard et al.  Right now, I am really feeling stupid and not much inclined to donate.   The attention line to "Plain text editor for writers" is the nearest I could get to find a solution.

The minefield through DonationCoder.com to find possible leads in examples is really daunting.  Still nothing.

Any ideas on how I can actually start using AutoHotKeys?

Thanx,

Carsto.

lanux128:
adding another option to the list: Dark Room.

Dark Room is a full screen, distraction free, writing environment. Unlike standard word processors that focus on features, Dark Room is just about you and your text.

Basically, Dark Room is a clone of the original WriteRoom that is an OS X (tiger) exclusive application. It is a child of necessity, as there were no viable alternatives in Windows to produce the same behavior.

lanux128:
I thought AutoHotKey could be the answer, but it seems not to be.  All I need to do is create diacritics for some vowels.-Carsto (January 20, 2008, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Carsto, if you need a program just to insert characters then AllChars would be better choice as it doesn't require you to read up on the commands as in Autohotkey which is more of a scripting tool.

mnemonic:
app103F1 doesn't work, so I don't know how to do anything with it that requires a not-known-to-me keyboard shortcut. :(
-app103 (January 20, 2008, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I had exactly the same problem until I hit the "F Lock" key on my keyboard and F1 started working again.

Seems like the world is a-changing, started years ago with really basic apps, then they grew and grew and grew into bloated monsters and now everyone is clamouring for the basic stuff again - are we seeing the start of a revolution?  ;D

Time to stay goodbye to Word / Openoffice and move on to Q10!

app103:
Hmmm, I had exactly the same problem until I hit the "F Lock" key on my keyboard and F1 started working again.
-mnemonic (January 20, 2008, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

"F Lock"? What is this "F Lock" you speak of? I do not see anything that says this on any key of my keyboard. Nor do I see this on any spare keyboards I have. Where would this be located?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version