ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

64 Bit CPU - Is it worth it?

<< < (2/3) > >>

justice:
64-32bit: servers yes, desktop no.

Renegade:
64-32bit: servers yes, desktop no.
-justice (January 18, 2008, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... Understatement/Overstatement...

For servers, that's an understatement. Nothing in the future will work with 32 bit processors. Vendors are all dropping 32 bit support. (MS has already.)

For the desktop... I'm on the "it depends" fence there. If you need to run software that only runs on 32 bit CPUs, then go there. But if you're forward looking, get 64 bit.

With servers, upgrading is a major deal. With a desktop, who cares? For a desktop, you unplug it... AACCKK! That would never happen for a server... I think you get my drift there.

But even for the desktop arena, I see a lot of vendors going 64 bit now (component vendors included).

I like to buy for tomorrow, because that's always where the computing market is. But, if I need something that won't go there, it's a no brainer. Stick with what works.

f0dder:
Only real problem with running a 64bit windows is that you can no longer run 16bit apps (which includes a lot of installers, idiotic installer developers >_<), and that you can't use 32bit drivers (which isn't much of a problem anymore, except it means you need to get cracks for your legally purchased games, since some of those use (32bit) drivers for software protection).

Other than that, a few dirtily coded apps might break under a 64bit Windows, but most stuff runs fine. You won't notice much improvement in everyday use, but applications compiled for x64 which are compute-intensive can benefit a lot... this would include 3D rendering and whatnot. Oh, and the ability to stuff in a lot of RAM and use it, that requires 64bit.

I'm running XP64 myself, and haven't had any problems doing it this time around. First install several years ago didn't last long because drivers back then sucked :)

mouser:
in addition to driver incompatibilities (if you have older hardware you might be in trouble), one of the other things that is not compatible is many of the context menu extensions of programs.  So you may find that your favorite context menu extension tools wont run right on Windows 64.

f0dder:
Ah yes, context menu extensions...

Well, use a 32bit file manager instead of explorer, and then those shell extensions work again :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version