topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Rotating JPEGs *without* changing modified date  (Read 19953 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rotating JPEGs *without* changing modified date
« on: January 18, 2008, 02:11 PM »
[edit] found one but I'll post anyway - would be interesting to see which progs modify date, also see edit below [/edit]

anyone know of a programme that will rotate jpegs
but not change the last modified date?

Dopus changes it
HAH found one already..
Exif Pro does the job without messing with dates :up:

[edit] I'll post this anyway cause I've been using DOpus for years to rotate my photos without realising it changed the (modified) dates - it's been causing me some real trouble lately :mad: [/edit]
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Rotating JPEGs *without* changing modified date
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:21 AM »
sorry to hear that, tomos.. it's always a good practice to check for this option before using any file renamers, image editors, mp3 tag editors and others of its ilk.. here's a sample from IrfanView which has this option in the Save dialog itself..

ws-save-with-ori-date-1.png

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 06:45 AM »
Actually, you can use Directory Opus to rotate images *and* keep the original modified date.

What you need is to use add "PRESERVEDATE" to the rotate command for your button/menu/whatever.

Example:
Image ROTATE=90 HERE REPLACE PRESERVEDATE
The above command rotates the image 90°, replaces the original file instead of creating a copy, and it also preserves the original date/timestamp :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:48 AM by Dirhael »

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Compupic Pro lets you make some lossless modifications (including rotation) to images and it didn't seem to touch the mod. date when I tried it right now...

Edit: Since this is apparently considered a 'safe' operation it doesn't prompt for file saving - just rotates the image on the spot and that's that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 07:15 AM by nosh »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 08:15 AM »
thanks dirhael :Thmbsup:

it's logical to check this but somehow it had never occurred to me
it wasnt a major problem for me (ways around it) but good to know/check (as you say lanux)

off to change my DOpus 'rotate' commands - I think (checks quickly) - looks like this has only been happening since a recent reinstall of DOpus - thats not so bad...
(FTR:- I'm now using the default "Nudel-Images" toolbar -Opus#8- I think I had a different version of toolbar in last install...)

going off on a tangent a little:- anyone know would it be easily possible to change modified datestamp back to "shooting time" date?
It's not such a big deal mostly, cause sorting by the sequential naming would normally be the same as sorting by date. But sometimes not (end of one year/beginning of next)
Tom
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:17 AM by tomos »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:47 AM »
going off on a tangent a little:[/i][/b]- anyone know would it be easily possible to change modified datestamp back to "shooting time" date?
yes, it's possible with the EXIF info contained in the digital image. a stand-alone exif tool or a file-manager/image viewer with an exif plugin would do the trick.. just do search here in DC, there has been several discussions about it..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 12:14 PM »
going off on a tangent a little:[/i][/b]- anyone know would it be easily possible to change modified datestamp back to "shooting time" date?
yes, it's possible with the EXIF info contained in the digital image. a stand-alone exif tool or a file-manager/image viewer with an exif plugin would do the trick.. just do search here in DC, there has been several discussions about it..

ahh, will have another look at ExifPro,
maybe....
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:30 PM »
here are two more tools that will be useful in this task.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
http://jpgtime.learsy.com/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:43 PM »
thanks lanux :up:

EDIT/ doesnt seem to be possible in ExifPro
Tom
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:46 PM by tomos »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 12:49 PM »
you're welcome, tomos.. just wondering which one did you use? :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 01:08 PM »
here are two more tools that will be useful in this task.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/
http://jpgtime.learsy.com/
that Learsy one is a thing of beauty :Thmbsup:

Learsy.png

# no install
# simple to use -
  • select files (all if you want) / click Set time from EXIF - it show the Exif time in the "New Time" column
  • compare
  • select those you want to change
  • click Apply changes

then go off and donate to the author (donationware :up:)
http://www.muralpix.com/donation.html
Tom
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:10 PM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 01:25 PM »
strange, now I'm finding whole folders where the EXIF/shooting time and modified times are an hour out -
obviously to do with the clock change... but -
hmm,
I think it's a bug but havent pinned it down yet - when I change just the files that were rotated and then recheck to compare times - the other files (who's dates I didnt change) no longer have the hour difference :tellme:

just done it again! will email the author

[edit] no idea what that was, it was the case with two different cameras, but only in pictures (roughly) taken the second half of 2007 - some unusual alignment of the planets or something... :-\ [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:56 PM by tomos »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:15 PM »
sounds like a bug alright but since i haven't tried it yet i can't be definitive.. so i'm going to download the app & see if the same happens to me.. in any case, go ahead & notify the author. :)

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 06:50 AM »
I've also noticed strange behaviour regarding EXIF shooting/modified times in my pics, but I believe it's a Windows problem (or feature?).

I may be completely wrong, but it appears that, let's say, I take a pic in December at 12:00:00 and store in my computer, the EXIF and Windows modified dates will be the same; however, once DST starts in March, it seems Windows changes the dates of all files, so the pic I took in December will still retain its EXIF shooting time, but the modified date will now be 13:00:00. Once the hour changes again, it will revert to the original 12:00:00.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 09:38 AM »
strange...

as I said it happened for me on a series of folders* (2nd half 2007) but not on photos taken the previous winter (2006/2007) so there didnt seem to be any logic to it...

* with TWO different cameras so I dont think I can blame the cameras... anyways I just ignored one hour differences which worked out well enough (although could also potentially cause confusion in certain situations, but I wasnt that worried about it :))
Tom

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30 AM »
I haven't yet tested this, but I think that if you backup your photos to a CD or RAR archive in the Winter and erase them from your hard disk, then copy them again to the disk in the Summer, Windows will set the modified time equal to what it was in the Winter (which is the modified time when the files were backed up).
If you leave those files in the disk until the next hour change, Windows will then reduce the modified time by one hour.

Once again, I have no idea if this is the correct explanation for this problem, all I know is that I have a lot of pics with disagreeing dates even though I never modified them.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 10:57 AM »
I haven't yet tested this, but I think that if you backup your photos to a CD or RAR archive in the Winter and erase them from your hard disk, then copy them again to the disk in the Summer, Windows will set the modified time equal to what it was in the Winter (which is the modified time when the files were backed up).
If you leave those files in the disk until the next hour change, Windows will then reduce the modified time by one hour.

Once again, I have no idea if this is the correct explanation for this problem, all I know is that I have a lot of pics with disagreeing dates even though I never modified them.

you've got it Cynic! ... I think :-\
I've changed computers lately and used my DVD backups to transfer my photos..
still not sure why the pattern for me of some affected/some not*, but somehow it just "sounds" right
(you can tell I'm not an extremely scientific type of guy :D)

* [edit] could be I burnt most in one season and the "problem" ones in the other...
Tom
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:59 AM by tomos »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 08:47 AM »
* [edit] could be I burnt most in one season and the "problem" ones in the other...

Season = "session"?  :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 09:54 AM »
revisiting this (correcting created date of photos) -
this about correcting the date in the Exif info if that incorrect.

From the current newsletter (Nov.6th 2009) from Imaging Resource. I added a link for the recommended app in the quote:-
camera manufacturers record it in the Exif header of their image files in several places. The DateTimeOriginal, CreateDate and ModifyDate tags all record it, for example. The trick is to reset all three on a new image.

ExifTool can do that with one simple command. There's a Windows version and a Mac version. The simplest way to use the utility is from the command line (Terminal on the Mac).
[...]
   exiftool -AllDates-=1 *
Full article: http://www.imaging-r...v11/20091106.htm#adv
Tom