ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ASUS eee PC - Any owner?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Mark0:
Seems that the eee PC can withstand a fair amount of tortures!

Check this french video: DailyMotion - Tests résistance (Chocs, chaleur, froid)

1 hour run at 40c, and then also outdoor at about 0c.
Drop from chair height, from 1 meter, and from a table.
On moquette and hard floor. Closed and also with the screen open!

Hard Drive? Thanks, but no thanks! :)

Bye!

nudone:
anyone planning in getting the 9" screen version when it comes out. i was undecided about getting one of the current 7" screen version but i think the 9" one is a no brainer.

(those touch screen mods look pretty tempting also.)

johnk:
anyone planning in getting the 9" screen version when it comes out. i was undecided about getting one of the current 7" screen version but i think the 9" one is a no brainer.

(those touch screen mods look pretty tempting also.)
-nudone (March 07, 2008, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes -- I've been waiting for "version 2" ever since the first eee was released.  At the time I thought "all this needs is a slightly bigger screen and XP installed and I have my perfect portable".  And it looks as if I'll get my wish in a few months...

However the first eee has been such a success that the market should be overflowing with me-too products any day now, so there's always the outside chance that someone else will come up with something better. Otherwise I'll be first in the queue for the new eee.

Dormouse:
Yes -- I've been waiting for "version 2" ever since the first eee was released. 

the market should be overflowing with me-too products any day now, so there's always the outside chance that someone else will come up with something better. -johnk (March 13, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Eee 901 about to be on sale. And lots of me-too products announced.

I'm really tempted by the idea (in my mind), but I'm not so sure about the actual products. If I am out and about, I'm not likely to want to use it for a long time on any one occasion, but will want to check things and write things quickly. This means that I want:-

* Instant startup (rather like the old Amiga/Atari ST)

* Reasonable size screen (ie quite a bit bigger than a PDA) - all these seem to have a big enough screen

* Ability to read common document and image formats

* A text editor/WP

* A keyboard where proper typing is possible

* Reasonable communications (ability to network + usb port quite sufficient)
* Cheap (announced price ranges OK)

Lots of other stuff would be nice but not essential. Touch screen would be good. I don't care about the OS. It seems to me that the things mostly sell on the form factor and the price and otherwise are just the same as other computers. Its the bootup and load times that are critical for me. I suppose I could cope with 15 seconds; I suppose I could find a small fast loading Linux distro and tweak it for the Eee (though maybe not), but it seems to me that this should really be a simple consumer product that just works - like a mobile phone.

lanux128:
one year on with more manufacturers throwing their hat in the ring, is there any outstanding models? i know lenovo's ideapad is getting rave reviews. just wondering, how many in the DC community have adopted netbooks?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version