topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Third party system tools for windows XP  (Read 5165 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Third party system tools for windows XP
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:47 PM »
I was just reading the latest newsletter from Windows Secrets that was talking about some of these programs like Windows in a box and XP Syspad.  I was just wondering if anyone had ever researched any of these to know which one is the  best and if there are more out there that could be better.

http://bigdaddydesig...om/windowsinabox.htm

http://www.xtort.net...re/xpsyspad#features

thanks,
Dave

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Third party system tools for windows XP
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:48 PM »
I have XPSysPad but I never used it since it was installed. I don't know why, either I know where it's everything in Windows, or maybe I find as painful as to search for the tools in Windows as to navigate the overcrowded menus. I'll probably uninstall it in a near future.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:14 PM »
I tried the Windows in a Box and it was ok.  At least it didn't install anything which is good.  It runs from a menu and the menus aren't sorted alphabetical to make them easy to find but by how many characters are in the file name.  That is "Restart" would come before "Shutdown" since it has fewer letters.  Not exactly easy way to find something.  I also didn't see anyway of changing the sort order.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:38 PM »
Windows in a box has been updated since i last tried it but nevertheless i prefer XP Syspad slightly more. why? because it has this organized look and that makes things slightly easier to find. both tools are very handy to have when you're troubleshooting a PC over a phone.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:00 PM »
One thing I'd like between these utilities is a list of useful registry keys that don't have a GUI tool to manipulate.

Ehtyar.