ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

starting a revolt against Opera. Worth it?

(1/6) > >>

urlwolf:
I'm this close to starting a revolt against Opera.

The basic complaint is that they don't care about their users, and our obligation as consumers is to protest. They do have a forum, but many features asked are never introduced; we are talking about thoushands of posts in a thread. Opera is blind to that.

Similar situations of massive amounts of users taking action: the Save XP petition.

Basically, this would involve to set up a website and start collecting "signatures".

Do you think it's worth it?

tomos:
I'd happily sign/support it, but no idea if it's worth it...

yksyks:
I left the Opera forum some time ago, there's no feedback from the developers and most of the members only post nonsense or insult each other. To be honest, though, the latest Opera 9.5 beta (Kestrel) is the most compatible of all versions since version 3. I was also tempted to leave Opera, but I changed my mind lately and it's still my default browser. Also, almost all "problematc" websites I reported there are displaying quite well in Kestrel now.

I don't believe it's worth organize anything you suggest, nobody would care. On the other hand, I just signed the Save XP petition, thanks for the tip.

nontroppo:
What is the particular feature? I'd be happy to support a constructive cause, Vive la RevoluciĆ³n!  8)

By constructive, I mean the more a feature is fleshed out with UI mockups and usercase scenarios, the better traction it will receive. I have numerous threads in the wishlist forum myself I'd love to see included. Other wishes have finally arrived (page indexing in 9.5 being my current fave).

As someone who has some insight into Opera, I can tell you that the wishlist is read, and valid wishes are added to their internal feature tracking list. But Opera has some clear development principles they are pretty clear about (no API for a whole raft of reasons). I've discussed about an API, and they are pretty clear that the rendering core is both more stable and more secure as those possible attack vectors are not available. That makes Opera less flexible, and I know several users on this forum and doubtlessly elsewhere who refuse to use Opera as it doesn't support Roboform. Personally I choose not to use Roboform as it doesn't work with Opera.

housetier:
You can't call it "secure" when their email program does not support GnuPG or PGP.

I used to like opera a lot, but it is hindering my workflow and I can't have that.

The petition might work, IF enough people sign it. I'd sign because I want people to have many webbrowsers to choose from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version