topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: extraDNS: does it work?  (Read 5228 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
extraDNS: does it work?
« on: January 18, 2008, 05:09 AM »
Do you think this works, or is yet another time waster?

http://www.pcworld.c...ads/description.html
ExtraDNS saves time by intercepting DNS requests and storing replies in a fast, indexed database. The next time your system needs to resolve the same address, ExtraDNS instantly supplies the reply from its database. This decreases delays when loading a Web page (it also has to resolve addresses for the graphics, banners, and other elements of the page).

All IP numbers are not stored on every DNS server, and browsers usually search for them one by one to resolve the URL. ExtraDNS further speeds up the search process by searching many DNS servers simultaneously.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: extraDNS: does it work?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 05:16 AM »
Theorycraft: Apparently your OS does the same thing so the improved speed will be either in a faster implementation or a longer caching time of the responses. If it was free I'd give it a try but not worth paying money for I'd say.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:01 AM »
Theorycraft: Apparently your OS does the same thing so the improved speed will be either in a faster implementation or a longer caching time of the responses. If it was free I'd give it a try but not worth paying money for I'd say.
I second that. And if it caches responses longer than the OS, perhaps it caches them longer than the expiry time sent by the DNS server... that's a BAD idea.

If you don't think windows' DNS cache is good enough, google for treewalk DNS, that might float your boat. And it's free.
- carpe noctem

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:58 AM »
I wouldn't pay for DNS lookups.