ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Did dual-layer recordable dvd discs ever make it mainstream?

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
I don't ever remember the dual-layer DVD discs taking off, what happened to them?  They barely even sell them in the stores.  If you go to best buy, there may be one package of 5 discs somewhere along that entire shelf of recordable media.

nudone:
maybe it's due to people getting used to DVDShrink (etc) before dual layer came out. also, there's little point in converting a 700 meg downloaded film into a 8 gig dual layer file to watch on your dvd. yeah, piracy is naughty but let's face it - i think it fair to say it drives the sales of dvd disks.

i suspect the cost also put people off - and there lack of availability in the first place.

Mark0:
Naahh... serious video consumers just stream! :)

BTW, I completely agree on the DVDShrink thing. DL support always costed way more than two Single Layer, so there never wasn't much convenience in them.

Bye!

f0dder:
They're readily available, but prohibitively expensive...

And most pirated downloaded are in single-layer re-encoded format (with proper CCE compression, not dvd shrink) anyway, which is probably why consumers aren't buying DL discs and thus driving prices down.

superboyac:
Interesting, I didn't think about it that way.  It popped into my head because I was burning a bunch of my unused documents off of my computer, and I used 6 DVD discs, but if I had dual layer, it would have only taken 3 discs.

What about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD for storage?  Do you guys think those will take off.  I read that they'll be able to store around 50GB per disc.  Wow!  That would be amazing, especially if the price was reasonable.  Let's say I can get 4.7GB DVD discs right now for about $0.20-0.50 per disc.  I would definitely pay up to $5 per disc for 50GB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version