topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Steve Jobs - "American's Don't Read"  (Read 3542 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Steve Jobs - "American's Don't Read"
« on: January 16, 2008, 05:26 PM »
Steve Jobs criticized the Amazon Kindle saying that it's just a dumb idea because people don't read...

I think he's pretty much off-base though. The Kindle is a stepping stone towards what people really want - color display portable readers for digital magazines like Playboy & Hustler! :)

Oh Steve... How short-sighted you are! ;)   -- (Could he be going blind? ;) )

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steve Jobs - "American's Don't Read"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:26 PM »
There's also a world outside the USA ;), although I agree that the Kindle is not the ultimate book reader. Then again none of the services offered by Apple on movies, TV series and music are "ultimate" by my definition of culture freedom :P

I'm sure Apple will be witnessing the experiment with attention to see if it's worthwile to release something. And THEN book readers will be as hip as the iPhone right now (and as expensive, of course ;D)

In addition, Steve Jobs seems to forget that people reads more than it seems, just not books.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:57 PM by Lashiec »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:24 AM »
Beyond the classics, what book is worth your time to read? After growing up and getting out of college, most of us work 10-12 hour days, compute a little, and do our reading online before passing out to slog through another day. When you look at the sheer load of crap that the corporate media offers as good literature, I don't have 2-4 hours to waste only to confirm that Ken Follett or Sue Grafton's latest isn't worth my conscious time. (And no, I don't spend it watching the teevee, either.)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:34 AM »
Ha, ha - I KNEW it! All you southern folk are using Dragon Naturally Speaking to read and post in this forum! Admit it! Busted! (Darwin continues taunting his American cousins. They eventually tire of it and gently remind him about the Battle of New Orleans. He shuts up).