ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

idea: Application to turn off a laptop's display.

<< < (2/6) > >>

housetier:
I am sure turning off the display will make the battery last longer.

I couldn't find the Satellite 205 on toshiba-europe.com nor in the online shop from which my boss buys all the gear we use and sell.

Usually, there is a tiny switch near the "fold". This switch is pressed down by the lid's frame when it is closed. On most operating systems this should also send a signal to put the hardware in standby or suspend mode to save energy. In your case, we first need to find this tiny plastic lever, and then keep the operating system running normally when it is pressed.

suleika:
If you could fool your laptop into thinking it was attached to an external monitor, you might be able to direct your display to that monitor.  I suppose it might work without even attaching the external monitor.  I think on your laptop the toggle is Fn+F5.

Going back to scancode's suggestion, your laptop must have some kind of cue to tell it that the lid is closed.  Perhaps it is some other kind of sensor rather than a button?  The idea would be to fool the laptop into thinking the lid is closed.  To tell you the truth, I can't find the sensor or button on my laptop, so I suppose these things might be hard to find.  And so I can't test it either.  But it sounds like a neat trick....

On preview, housetier mentioned the tiny switch near the "fold".  That's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Here are some userguides.

jgpaiva:
Suleika just gave me the perfect idea:
Most laptops have a key for turning off the monitor! It should be in the fn+F-something range. (in my acer, it's fn+F6).

app103:
I might be able to do this.

I just need to know what hotkey combos you would like to use to turn the monitor off and back on. They have to be something that wouldn't be used by another application for anything.

musicman:
Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately the FN keys do not turn off the monitor. F-6 and F-7 adjust the brightness, but that's all. App, I really dont' mind which hotkey you use. In fact I just used hotkeys as an example. it could be a button, or checkbox. Thanks for your help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version