ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

idea: Application to turn off a laptop's display.

(1/6) > >>

musicman:
Hello all,
I don't think I've posted here in the past, so I'd like to say hey to everyone. now on to my request. As a blind user, I don't really have any use for my laptop's monitor. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a program that I can use to turn on and off my laptop's display. thanks for any help!

scancode:
Hi. I tried coding it, the monitor can be shut down using
       invoke SendMessage, HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SYSCOMMAND, 6180   , 2
but surprise, it turns on after the slightest mouse or keyboard movement.

I personally doubt it can be done via software, however, a low-tech workaround might work. Set windows to NOT to suspend the laptop when closing the lid. On my laptop at least, where monitor meets the keyboard, there's a small button. Simply stick something there and the monitor will turn off, but keyboard and touchpad will still work as normal. Hope it helps.

I attached a video as proof, using a business card.

[flash=240,180]http://scancode.dcmembers.com/files/player.swf?file=laptop.flv&size=false&aplay=false&autorew=false&title=[/flash]
http://scancode.dcmembers.com/files/laptop.flv

Best regards.

musicman:
Hello,
thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my display does not have any buttons, so that will not work. If anyone else comes up with anything please let me know. thanks all!

suleika:
What make/model is your laptop, musicman?

Do you just want it off in order to save power?  When would you want it turned on?

musicman:
Hello suleika,
My laptop is a Toshiba, and for the model it says Satellite A205. THe main reason I want to disable the display is that I'm blind and don't need it, unless someone sighted is using it. I also figure that with the display off the battery will last a bit longer. I'm not sure how long I'll have the display off, so a hotkey to turn it on or off would be useful. thanks for replying!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version