ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VisualWget - Wget for Windows

<< < (2/3) > >>

wilfrednilsen:
I do not really see the point in this GUI wrapper. What is wrong with the command line version of wget?

My recommendation to all PC users is to download cygwin and start learning how to use command line programs. Learn how to pipe and connect the various UNIX tools as you will find that your productivity will increase many times when you get used to these tools.

Common tasks can be assembled into a batch file or a bash shell script.

http://www.cygwin.com/

f0dder:
Ugh, cygwin? No thanks, native ports please :)

Iirc the wget version I use is from unxutils.

wilfrednilsen:
Native ports?

Cygwin is compiled for Windows, but the tools require the cygwin DLL. I see no problem with that.

The cygwin DLL is needed since Microsoft does not know how to make operating systems.

mwb1100:
I do not really see the point in this GUI wrapper. What is wrong with the command line version of wget?
-wilfrednilsen (January 16, 2008, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

As with many things, there are different strokes for different folks.  I use wget a few times a year.  It takes me a half hour or so to get reacquainted with the options and which ones I need for a particular task.  The GUI front-end might make that pain point disappear (haven't tried it yet, so I don't know).

lanux128:
just as mwb1100 noted, some are comfortable with command-line, others with GUI. i normally use a mixture of both.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version