ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Going nutty: how can I find out what is blocking pv.exe and locking HOSTS?

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
id guess then that its shutting itself down, due to bad config or inability to reserve port.
definitely check for a log file.

m_s:
Thanks, Mouser.  I checked logs, but there's no errors - all recorded as working alright.  I have shut down all my security progs one by one, but nothing makes it work. 

Oh, that's very interesting: I just discovered that file://localhost/ does display a list of my drives, but http does nothing...  Anyone know what's going on?

m_s:
So a bit more info: when I formerly tried to open .php files, I got junk - meaningful junk, but not what I was meant to see, I don't think.  Now when I drag .php files into my browser, or navigate to them via file://localhost/etc I am asked if I want to download or open the file.  If I choose open, I then get a message (in Opera) 'Could not start application'.  So it this some kind of problem with my PHP install?

m_s:
For the sake on completeness: I uninstalled XAMPP, and that was obviously what was blocking the HOSTS files, because Hostsman can edit it again.  I tried it on another machine, and it didn't work there either - with a different security setup - so I don't think the problem is necessarily on my side.   I've put in a support question over at freehostia, because I don't understand why Textpattern isn't working on their side either... 

mouser:
fyi:

1. i get that same behavior also when i drag php files into my browser.
2. when you do get php working locally, would you mind giving us an update of what you did to get it to work, i think it's something id like to set up as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version