topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Going nutty: how can I find out what is blocking pv.exe and locking HOSTS?  (Read 9640 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I my ongoing efforts to get a website up and running, I've found a free host that can handle textpattern - great!  So now I'm trying to get textpattern setup on my machine so that I can set about making a webpage.  However...  I followed installation advice from the Textbook project, and installed XAMPP.  But I can't go to localhost: when I do, I just get a blank screen.  Which smells to me like there's a localhost entry in my HOSTS file - but I can't figure out what program has blocked it...  And likewise, when I start up XAMPP Control Panel and set Apache and MySQL services running, I get a constant clicking noise, and when I open Process Explorer, I can see that the noise is caused by something - one of my impregnable security programs, no doubt  :( - blocking it.  Is there a way I can find out which program is doing this, and which is blocking HOSTS too? 

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know if i right understand you.
Do you mean something like UnLocker ?

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, the situation is that something seems to be stopping a module of Apache (pv.exe) from running, but I don't know which of my security programs it is!  At least I think it is one of my security programs - that's the only explanation that makes any sense at all.  (I can't actually get the Unlocker site to work either, so can't confirm if that does what I want...)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
the common way to find out what might be stopping it is
to start shutting down any security apps until the blocking stops.

might want to disconnect from the internet first..

of course it could very well be that apache or whatever from running -
check for a log file to see if there is any reason being given for it exiting.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I tried that... I switched off everything...  Unless it's NOD's kernel service, which seems impossible to disable...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
id guess then that its shutting itself down, due to bad config or inability to reserve port.
definitely check for a log file.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, Mouser.  I checked logs, but there's no errors - all recorded as working alright.  I have shut down all my security progs one by one, but nothing makes it work. 

Oh, that's very interesting: I just discovered that file://localhost/ does display a list of my drives, but http does nothing...  Anyone know what's going on?

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So a bit more info: when I formerly tried to open .php files, I got junk - meaningful junk, but not what I was meant to see, I don't think.  Now when I drag .php files into my browser, or navigate to them via file://localhost/etc I am asked if I want to download or open the file.  If I choose open, I then get a message (in Opera) 'Could not start application'.  So it this some kind of problem with my PHP install?

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
For the sake on completeness: I uninstalled XAMPP, and that was obviously what was blocking the HOSTS files, because Hostsman can edit it again.  I tried it on another machine, and it didn't work there either - with a different security setup - so I don't think the problem is necessarily on my side.   I've put in a support question over at freehostia, because I don't understand why Textpattern isn't working on their side either... 

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fyi:

1. i get that same behavior also when i drag php files into my browser.
2. when you do get php working locally, would you mind giving us an update of what you did to get it to work, i think it's something id like to set up as well.

chr15

• Site Programmer
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
  • Everything in life is a gamble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

Installed PHP a while ago, without testing so I thought this would be an idea time to test the issue you are experencing, I experienced the same, probably because I did not install a web server and php together on a windows box.

Solution just associate the .php and .php3 files with the php.exe executable in the normal windows way, use shift+right click if you do not get the open with context menu item.

Then you can just drop the .php files on your web browser and windows uses the local associate for the file as it is viewed locally .

Chris