topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Editor Needed  (Read 34730 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Editor Needed
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Hi Gang,

I am looking for an editor that will allow me to format the text like Rich Text, modifying color, underline, bold, etc., like Martin Aignesberger's great Notebook Pro editor. In addition though, I would like it to be able to replace my text editor and able to edit text files without adding formatting codes. Some of my text files could be converted to another format, while files like .bat, .ini, etc. would need to remain pure text files. The program does not have to be freeware. I would be happy to pay for the "right program". All recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Editor Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06 AM »
You should (NOT) try Ultra-Pad (link removed)

It is VERY rich on features, frankly I can only think of two features missing: One is the option to launch some "pre-launcher" at start, to minimize response time, and the other is the option to 1-click close the document but not the program. I have requested both features, and the answer was positive, but that was 'long' ago, well, half a year ago? - maybe some more should request...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:31 AM by Curt »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 10:30 AM »
OMG, what an interface >_<

The only thing I know like what you ask is either Wordpad or xtort's QJot (a Wordpad clone). Alternatively, MDGX has listed in his website a good deal of text editors, a few of them support rich text editing, which is what you're asking for. Not any impressive solution for what I saw a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:36 AM by Lashiec »

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:50 AM »
I am looking for an editor that will allow me to format the text like Rich Text, modifying color, underline, bold, etc., like Martin Aignesberger's great Notebook Pro editor. In addition though, I would like it to be able to replace my text editor and able to edit text files without adding formatting codes.

I can recommend PolyEdit: www.polyedit.com
Nice features, and works both as an RTF and plaintext editor. Original, useful docking mechanism, if you like docking.

Though for power plain-text editing, you may consider a "real" plaintext editor, such as EmEditor.

on edit: Forgot to add: PolyEdit is $27.95. I registered in May 2003, and all updates have been free since then.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:36 AM by tranglos »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:17 AM »

yes, Michael has some very 'young' ideas about this, but Skinnable Interface is included.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:23 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:05 PM »

yes, Michael has some very 'young' ideas about this, but Skinnable Interface is included.

- ohh, you were looking at the snowy Christmas theme, right? Yeah, that one was not too lucky, but over time there were MANY themes a lot worse!  ;D

The one I am using  is now default theme and is looking quite good:

MJH'sUltra-Pad.gifEditor Needed

But why does he have to type his name all over the place? § icon_rolleyes.gif

Edit: link removed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:33 AM by Curt »

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • ::41554D::
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:15 PM »
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it is free and has a lot of plugins to support different file types:

AbiWord

http://www.abisource.com/screenshots/
'Behold! It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 01:34 PM »
Ken,

If I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are looking for "One Editor to Rule them All". If that is the case, you will run into a problem. Most editors are built with a focus. So an editor that would handle RTF would have a UI that caters to formating, the shortcut keys would be mapped to formatting, etc. But an editor that would handle BAT or INI files would be concerned not with formatting, but with manipulation of unformatted text. So shortcut keys would be mapped to things like cut and past or switch to ALL CAPS. Now the latter very well may have syntax highlighting, but not formatting.

You can think of it as Wordpad (RTF) vs. Notepad (TXT). I tend to use Open Office for RTF and Notepad++ for sourcecode or generic text.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 06:33 PM »
there was a similar thread just like this recently and i suggested Atlantis Nova..

a free version of Atlantis Nova would do the trick.. you have to google for it though as the developers no longer keep the free version on their website..

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:00 PM »

I thought that something about Ultra-Pad rang a bell...  It seems that Michael J. Hardy has a less than stellar reputation among several freeware/open source authors:

http://paintdotnet.f...viewtopic.php?t=2442
http://youfailit.net/?p=63
http://youfailit.net/?p=49  (etc.)

I'm not sure if Ultra-Pad falls in that camp, but I'm not given a warm, fuzzy feeling.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 07:14 PM »

I'm not sure if Ultra-Pad falls in that camp, but I'm not given a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Ouch! Definitely not fuzzy.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Wow! Quite a read - definitely not fuzzy, more like prickly:

Quote from Picc84 at this link: http://paintdotnet.f...viewtopic.php?t=2442
I e-mailed him, and with a quick responce he gave me:

"read the docs you ****** i give full credit to the authors donot email me again"

My original question, was...

"Excuse me, I've recently visited your site, and it looks ODDLY Familyer to a program of the name "Paint.NET" while I see no credit? Can you please direct me to were you give credit to the creator? IF ITS Paint.NET, If not, good luck! with your program!"

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:37 PM »

I thought that something about Ultra-Pad rang a bell...  It seems that Michael J. Hardy has a less than stellar reputation among several freeware/open source authors:

Well, Ultra-Pad maye a no-go, but PolyEdit and Atlantis are both very nice and on the right track. Again, thanks for all the input and pointers on the subject. You guys are the best!

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 04:58 AM »
Yes, Michael did rip off .NET Paint, it seems, but that was back then and has very little to do with Ultra-Pad, hasn't it. But if his basic idea of work is to let others do the hard part and then add some changes and take the credit for all of it, it would explain why any of my feature requests not yet have been fulfilled: He is waiting for someone else to do the work!

Michael J. Hardy is Not a Scam (Rip Off) Artist!

Mike.jpg

Hi Everybody, My Name is Michael J. Hardy and I found my name on the internet saying that I am a Scam Artist! Well this is completely false. I am a Visual C++ and Visual Basic Programmer with over 5 years of experiance... I have created several products however, some of them used GNU GPL Portions and they are nolonger available due to accusations to me. Yes, I removed the GNU Portions of the Software and now create my own Software without using any gnu portions... If You have questions then please contact me at [email protected]

I AM NOT A SCAM OR RIP OFF ARTIST! DUE NOT LISTEN TO THESE LIES!

http://www.angelfire...m/hi5/michaeljhardy/
- I guess "due" is do

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 06:19 AM »
As an RTF editor there is also Angel Writer, which is free.
http://www.angelicso...en/angel-writer.html

=================

Michael J. Hardy is the cause of the recent license change (more restrictive) of Paint.NET, because he "did it again" at the end of 2007. It is also the inspiration for the term "backspaceware". Also, on the page http://youfailit.net/?p=49 the last comment posted says : "Well… here I am.. another author ripped by Mr. Hardy. My iQ WordProcessor source code and interface was ripped off from Planet Source Code and is being distributed as Ultra-Pad on his web site."

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 06:27 AM »
Given the recent events muntealb mentioned in his post, i really really wouldn't download that text editor. (actually, maybe you should remove the link or something, muntealb Curt - done)

[edit] bah, i really should read stuff more thoroughly! [/edit]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:43 PM by jgpaiva »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53 AM »
"Well… here I am.. another author ripped by Mr. Hardy. My iQ WordProcessor source code and interface was ripped off from Planet Source Code and is being distributed as Ultra-Pad on his web site."

This is sad what have happened to this Tom Moran. Can 'someone' please direct us to this program of his? I have not been able to find anything close to the name “iQ WordProcessor” anywhere! I would like to know if this story is true.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 11:01 AM »
This is sad what have happened to this Tom Moran. Can 'someone' please direct us to this program of his? I have not been able to find anything close to the name “iQ WordProcessor” anywhere! I would like to know if this story is true.

via Google: http://www.planetsou...d=69067&lngWId=1

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Man, that guy has no sense of decency at all, he must even take pride about that >:(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 12:28 PM »
: http://www.planetsou...d=69067&lngWId=1

- thanks, lanux128
M.J. Hardy didn't even bother to change the front page of the help manual!  :o

But what is this talk (2) about:
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, PLEASE:
1)Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
2)NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
3)Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner
?

I mean:
[hint]most people like me have no idea what a source code is or what to do with it.[/hint:tellme:

- edited for hint...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:07 PM by Curt »

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Lanux128,
It certainly was similiar. Thank you for recommending Atlantis.
Ken

there was a similar thread just like this recently and i suggested Atlantis Nova..

a free version of Atlantis Nova would do the trick.. you have to google for it though as the developers no longer keep the free version on their website..
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Given the recent events muntealb mentioned in his post, i really really wouldn't download that text editor. (actually, maybe you should remove the link or something, muntealb)

just to clarify - you dont mean the "Angel Writer" one (post #14) - or do you :-\
Tom

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Given the recent events muntealb mentioned in his post, i really really wouldn't download that text editor. (actually, maybe you should remove the link or something, muntealb)

just to clarify - you dont mean the "Angel Writer" one (post #14) - or do you :-\

No, he was referring to Ultra-Pad there.
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 05:16 PM »
..[hint]most people like me have no idea what a source code is or what to do with it.[/hint] - edited for hint...

It worked!   :Thmbsup:
A kind soul with a high iQ understood the meaning of my well hidden hint  and used VB6 to make me an exe. Very fine initiative! 

So now I have been legalized and can compare pears and apples:

iQ.gifEditor Needed

iQWordPad.gifEditor Needed

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Lanux128,
It certainly was similiar. Thank you for recommending Atlantis.
Ken

you're welcome, Ken.. glad to be of help.. :)

But what is this talk (2) about:
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, PLEASE:
1)Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
2)NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
3)Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner
?

this is only relevant for those who have Microsoft Visual Basic to avoid programs with malicious code.. btw, Tom looks like a very talented programmer, check out his projects as well..