topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: photo duplicate scanner  (Read 107260 times)

shobazi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: photo duplicate scanner
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing this free ware for finding the duplicate photos..really useful to me..till now i dont know that this type of plugin will be there..i wanna try out this one..

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17 AM »
PictureRelate might be what you are looking for. Features:

* Browse pictures from different directories and drives in a single list.
* View, Rename, Delete, Copy&Paste, Drag&Drop, switch to Explorer...
* Can handle large lists with 50.000 pictures and more!!!
* Image formats: JPG, BMP, PNG, TIFF, PPM, PGM, PBM, RAS
* Reads any other format via import filter command (IfranView, XnView, ...)
* Search for images similar to the selected picture. Fast!!!
* Adjust criterias for similarity interactively. See effects immediately.
* Search for duplicate pictures.
*Create a list of more or less similar pictures.
*Create a mosaic picture composed from many other pictures.

screenshot-searchsimilar.gif

screenshot-searchdups1.gif

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2010, 01:19 PM »
PictureRelate might be what you are looking for...

Ironically, I just uninstalled PictureRelate a few days ago after having had it installed for the last couple years. It is interesting software, but I never used it so I decided to uninstall.

When I first discovered it, I thought I had found "the one" due to all its variable settings. However, IMO it didn't measure up to other software mentioned in this thread. Despite my persistence in trying to ascertain the "correct" settings, I found that PictureRelate misses image dupes that the other softwares find.

PictureRelate is far from the fastest, leanest app to find similar images. Also, I didn't want to save its huge database files, but the app steadily drove me insane asking, asking, asking "do you want to save?". I finally decided to get an automatic button pusher app to answer that annoying question.

Certainly a unique program worth checking out, but not for me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:25 PM by sajman99 »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2010, 04:14 PM »
The latest version of MindGems' Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder (VSDIF) is version 3.5.0.1.

FYI: Notably absent from that page is information regarding new restrictions on their "demo" version. Specifically, as of this version "only the first 10 duplicate groups will be shown after the scan" according to the installed help file.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:25 PM by sajman99 »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2010, 04:23 PM »
AntiDupl.NET has been updated to version 1.5.0.0.

Among the several improvements:
-The choice between vertical and horizontal orientation of results in the preview panel and the table was added.
-Now the check for new versions of the program is optional.
-The design and the content of the menu, the control panel, and the status bar were changed.

http://antidupl.naro...u/english/index.html

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2010, 12:46 PM »
I have just tried the 'Find Duplicates' in Ashampoo Photo Commander 8, and it is by far the slowest, yet. It used just as long to scan 120 pictures as most of the others did to scan 6.000.

Nothing wrong with the result, though.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2010, 01:51 PM »
...it is by far the slowest, yet.

Unfortunately I've experienced that far too often. I've lost count how many times I've tested a similar image finder only to discover it bogs down so much it becomes unuseable.

For example, I like the generically named Duplicate Picture Finder and would use it much more often if it didn't slow down significantly when processing more than a few hundred files.

The developer of Duplicate Picture Finder Dzomlija has posted here at DC indicating he's working on a new version. 8) Definitely one to watch IMO.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2010, 03:27 PM »
I test these image comparison apps all the time, and most are not worth a mention here at DC.

I didn't really expect too much with a freeware named Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder, but I'm very pleasantly surprised with this one. They have a portable version, it's very easy to use, and the accuracy is very good. It's a keeper!

http://www.duplicate...inder.com/photo.html

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Take note that clicking on Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder's trash icon does NOT delete to the Recycle Bin as might be expected. Just something to keep in mind for the click-happy folks like myself who occasionally click on the wrong pic.

Other than that minor aspect, ADPF is worthwhile image comparison software--drag & drop folders, click on "Start Search" and you're processing images. Simple and effective.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2010, 03:58 PM »
... clicking on Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder's trash icon does NOT delete to the Recycle Bin ...

... probably because they also sell Recover Files ;-)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2010, 03:18 PM »
... clicking on Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder's trash icon does NOT delete to the Recycle Bin ...

... probably because they also sell Recover Files ; -)

Ah, that could explain it. It hadn't realized it was the same company.

Anyway, Awesome's still pretty good for free software. I guess I'll just have to watch my click happy behavior. ;D

Szero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2010, 08:59 AM »
I have used Unique Filer years ago, the latest beta was great, but it has been abandoned since 2001,
don't even know if it still works in Windows7, but it was a great tool for finding identically looking images inside multi thousands collections, you could specify a "base" collection, and "incoming or new" collections/directories.
Good preview options and choices which to delete. I have never found any real alternatives for it, but i'll check out AntiDupl one of these days. 8)

The site is still there though, the beta 2 also :
http://www.uniquefiler.com/

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Hi Szero.

Yep, Unique Filer is a classic. One of the fastest similar image finders ever! It utilizes very efficient database files which allow very fast processing speeds. Many thousands of files can be processed in a few seconds.

Although Unique Filer isn't as precise as many of the newer softwares, I still have it around for occasional use. Too bad it was abandoned. :(

Szero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Oh my! This AntiDupl doesn't even come close to Unique Filer :(
Am I missing something or are you really forced to making a decision from looking at 2 thumbnails:o

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Oh my! This AntiDupl doesn't even come close to Unique Filer :(
Am I missing something or are you really forced to making a decision from looking at 2 thumbnails:o

Well... :huh: pretty much all these apps display two images at a time for comparison (I can't remember about ImageDupeless?) including Unique Filer.

But maybe you are referring to the grouping of results? :tellme: If so, I would have to agree with you. I don't much care for AntiDupl.NET's sorting (including Group 0 ?). Unique Filer will present two or more similar images for consideration--arguably a more logical presentation.

However, it should be noted there are often multiple groups with the same # in AntiDupl. So in the case where there are three very similar images, Unique Filer will display them together in the tree results while AntiDupl will display two grouping with the same #. In other words, it's the same data with a different presentation. Unfortunately, you may have to sort AntiDupl's columns to appreciate the logic (hey, the author's Belarusian ;)).

In terms of accuracy/precision, AntiDupl.NET is clearly the superior software (IMO). You may have to tighten up its settings a bit, but the results will speak for themselves after several testing trials.

But don't get me wrong. As mentioned earlier, I still have Unique Filer and have always like it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Unique Filer looks shareware.  As you say it's abandoned, does that mean the author is no longer accepting registrations, or what?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Am I missing something or are you really forced to making a decision from looking at 2 thumbnails ?

-yes, you are missing something ;-)

First of all, regarding the thumbnails, well, you can db-click them, and they will open in your default viewer. Secondly, between the two thumbnails, the size of each picture is listed. Thirdly, the word "difference", means "not identical". Just how different the two pictures are from each other, is listed in percentage.

Actually, I only came to tell that AntiDubl.NET once again has been updated, and now is at version 1.6.

2010-11-06.gif

Regarding Unique Filer; their "secure server", sohosafe.com, cannot be confirmed to be safe.
The fine AntiDubl.NET is freeware ;-) http://antidupl.naro...u/english/index.html

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Unique Filer looks shareware.  As you say it's abandoned, does that mean the author is no longer accepting registrations, or what?
http://www.uniquefiler.com/beta.htm

I've used the "newest" beta version of Unique Filer for many years. I vaguely recall reading the author had passed away. :-\ Don't know this for sure, but clearly the software and site were left behind.

But it's free and has been for many years. Upon launching v2 there's a popup indicating the software is beta. IIRC it's never once crashed or caused a problem in 5+ years.

Szero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Thanks for the great help,
I'll stick to Unique Filer (the much better beta is completely free btw) because it's
much more intuitive, faster scanning, faster image rendering, and accurate enough for me. :-*
I don't know if it's AntiDpl or my system, but even dragging the columns feels awkward,
anyway, I'll try to contact the author and ask to take a look at Unique Filer, perhaps he can
incorporate some of its better features. :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 06:23 PM by Szero »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2010, 06:45 PM »
@Curt: Thanks for telling about the latest AntiDupl. I just updated a few weeks ago, and already there's another update. 8) Seems the author has been busy lately.

@Szero: I respectfully disagree about which software (AntiDupl or Unique Filer) is the best, but I consider both very good options. I've tested a great many of these similar image tools, and an amazing percentage of them are woefully slow and/or inaccurate. Man, I would have loved to see Unique Filer developed further.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Now having tested Unique Filer 2 Beta, I cannot keep silent:
You people are suffering from retrofixial!   :o

1) Unique Filer is not "more intuitive". You have just used it for so long that you have come think this is how it should be, because this is how it always were!

2) Unique Filer is fast, but not "faster scanning". In fact, AntiDubl is twice as fast!
Unique Filer used 10 minutes, AntiDubl used 5 minutes. (5.800 jpg and png photos)

3a) Unique Filer's result is not quite "accurate enough" for me: During the initial scanning, ("Analyze All"), the program stopped twelve times to tell me that a file was missing! (The program didn't go back to work until I had clicked 'okay'! What a bummer!) MAYBE Unique Filer are having problems reading certain modern file types, I don't know, but no other program thinks I am missing 12 photos in my collection. And how can I know anything about these 12 photos? The program gave me no file name, no nothing, just "a file is missing > Okay"!

3b) The Dupe Finder part of Unique Filer is exceptional fast, and makes me agree with sajman99: "I would have loved to see Unique Filer developed further". But maybe it is just too fast. I don't see why these two pictures should be listed as almost identical:

1200x912 pixels:

A-10 Worthog by hdrshooter.jpgphoto duplicate scanner

1024x805 pixels:

Casa Batlló Barcelona by Xavier Fargas.jpgphoto duplicate scanner

Do you?

Yes, I would have loved to see Unique Filer developed further,
but Unique Filer is outdated  and not good enough for me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:33 PM by Curt »

Szero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Wow, that's indeed a weird "duplicate"  :huh:
What i was meaning with "intuitive" is the layout of both images in UF, they're BIG enough to draw a conclusion, there's a right click option "Full Size" which gives us a dragable full sized comparison (most images these days are up and beyond 1024pixels),
the "details" section of the window in AD should not take up 80% imho, maybe we can all ask the author to make the actual decision screen show us more image instead of numbers & way too big and unclear icons. :D
It would be much neater assigning a function key to mark a file for deletion, and leave the screen for showing us what we need to see.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 07:36 PM by Szero »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23 PM »
In my experience Curt's Unique Filer accuracy findings were quite typical. Once you begin to increase Unique Filer's tolerance setting much above 15, you start to see images which are clearly visually dissimilar. These "mistakes" will of course happen with all of these tools, but they happen too soon (ie. too low tolerance setting) with Unique Filer. This lack of precision is why I don't use UF as often as I used to.

Regarding speed, it's like asking "Which is the faster file finder- Agent Ransack or Everything?" Obviously the indexer will always win the battle. So when processing large numbers of files Unique Filer will actually be faster (ie. after the initial scan which creates the index). But as many users know, AntiDupl.NET is no slouch in the speed department; it's probably the fastest non-indexer I've ever used.

Though I have to say I've never in 5+ years encountered that missing file issue when running Unique Filer- strange! You might consider keeping it for a bit to see if it's a recurring problem; who knows-- maybe UF will settle down. I mean, there is at least one compelling reason to keep Unique Filer: Smart Dupe Filter.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:35 PM by sajman99 »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2010, 01:55 PM »
You people are suffering from retrofixial!   :o

btw Curt it seems I need a larger (and I mean much much larger) dictionary. :D Maybe one of those ten pound gigantic dictionaries like I've seen in schools and libraries. ;)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18 PM »
You people are suffering from retrofixial!   :o

btw Curt it seems I need a larger (and I mean much much larger) dictionary. :D Maybe one of those ten pound gigantic dictionaries like I've seen in schools and libraries. ;)

It's an Americanism - ie. make up a word when the right one doesn't seem right, (or comes to mind) :P

As such, there can never be a dictionary sufficiently big enough  :harhar: