ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

photo duplicate scanner

<< < (6/25) > >>

J-Mac:
...You mentioned DOpus above, so I'll assume you have it.

The easy way:

1) Select files/movies/etc.
2) Hit the Rename button.
3) Hit the Advanced button - assuming it's in Simple mode.
4) Tick 'Enable file information fields' - you'll now notice a selection button on the right side
    of the 'New name' input field.
5) Hit that selection button, (a down arrow), and select 'General->Date (Created)'.
6) The new filenames will be displayed in the preview area - hit the OK button.
7) Job Done.

The 'Enable file information fields' also gives you access to a lot more renaming info, including EXIF data.
-4wd (January 23, 2008, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow!  I knew there was a rename command within DOpus but never really looked into it.  I already had both Renamer and Bulk Rename Utility when I purchased DOpus and so had not looked into the DOpus rename facility.  I haven't had need for renaming a large number of files lately, but I have been looking at Bulk Rename Utility, even for small numbers of file renames, just to try to get used to the interface. It has quite a daunting interface - so much so that I would normally have discarded it by now, figuring if the developer hadn't seen fit to make a program easily usable, then I wouldn't bother.  But the author does actually apologize for this on his site. Apparently he developed it for himself originally and never thought to make it user-friendly for others. But he has made it available to all for free, and has a good tutorial for it. So I was using it lightly to learn, since so many DC members give it high praise. Also, most of my renaming is digital photos and I use ACDSee's renamer for them, as it is pretty good itself and I am usually already in ACDSee when I decide to rename them.

But now that I read your post and just tried the DOpus renamer, I will definitely give it a workout.  Looks to be a lot more comprehensive than I had realized!

Thanks!

Jim

4wd:
But now that I read your post and just tried the DOpus renamer, I will definitely give it a workout.  Looks to be a lot more comprehensive than I had realized!
-J-Mac (January 26, 2008, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Also remember that you can save any rename pattern you use regularly.  I'll assume you have now converted to using the DOpus Advanced Rename requester ;)

Just set up the rename pattern for photos/files/whatever how you want it, then:

1) Hit the Presets: Add button (above the list on the right).
2) Give your new rename pattern a name.
3) It appears in the list.

You can now just select files, select the preset from the list on the right and Robert's your father's brother  :Thmbsup:

Also, for a preset you use all the time:

1) Create a new lister toolbar button.
2) Give it the function 'Rename PRESET=<insert your preset name>'
3) Select some files, hit your new button.

4wd

ashwken:
Just thought I'd throw this one into the ring:

Lupas Rename
http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/lupasrename.php

From this page:
Lupas Rename is a FREEWARE program developed to rename a big number of files.
It works on Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2K and WinXP.
It is a simple .EXE file and doesn't need any other external libraries.
==========

I'm not running Vista, so I don't now how it'll behave here.

Granted the last release was 2005-04-01...

It's has a very comprehensive set of rename functions, supports audio and EXIF tags, good depth for renumbering, and a clear and concise interface.

PhilB66:
VisiPics is another duplicate images finder that belongs in this pack (via ghacks).

compn:
doublekiller is pretty good. double killer pro is faster
visipics is great but slow.

most of the duplicate file programs i've used get choked up when dealing with huge amounts of files (e.g. 40gb folder with millions of images).

most (all?) do not have the ability to save a database of hashes. so you can save time in the future.

many have options to select multiple dup files, but the filters can be confusing or not as specific as you need them to be.

i guess what i'm saying is... we need a 'comparison of duplicate file finders'

filters:
filter results by directory
filter results by size/type/name/lackofname (select numberd filenames only)
filter results by drive/folder

scan:
selective hashing (scan first and last 10 bytes of a file)
multithreaded
same size sorting for faster scan

interface:
side by side compare
delete to recycle bin
move dupes to selected folder
good status/progress indicators

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version