But now that I read your post and just tried the DOpus renamer, I will definitely give it a workout. Looks to be a lot more comprehensive than I had realized!
Also remember that you can save any rename pattern you use regularly. I'll assume you have now converted to using the DOpus Advanced Rename requester
Just set up the rename pattern for photos/files/whatever how you want it, then:
1) Hit the Presets: Add button (above the list on the right).
2) Give your new rename pattern a name.
3) It appears in the list.
You can now just select files, select the preset from the list on the right and Robert's your father's brother
Also, for a preset you use all the time:
1) Create a new lister toolbar button.
2) Give it the function 'Rename PRESET=<insert your preset name>'
3) Select some files, hit your new button.