topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft releases DOS and Word for Windows source code  (Read 7470 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft releases DOS and Word for Windows source code
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:54 AM »
From the "It ain't GPL, but it's better than a stick in the eye" department.
Microsoft makes source code for MS-DOS and Word for Windows available to public
As part of this ongoing project, the museum will make available two of the most widely used software programs of the 1980’s, MS DOS 1.1 and 2.0 and Microsoft Word for Windows 1.1a, to help future generations of technologists better understand the roots of personal computing.

Now, what do the good folks at the FreeDOS project have to say about this?

... But don't get too excited about the possibility of merging genuine MS-DOS code into FreeDOS. From the download page: "To access this material, you must agree to the terms of the license ... which permits only non-commercial use and does not give you the right to license it to third parties by posting copies elsewhere on the web." The website makes it very clear the "source and object code to Microsoft?s MS-DOS operating system versions 1.1 and 2.0" is for "non-commercial use" only. It's nice that Microsoft released the MS-DOS source code, but this is not "Free software."

from CodeProject

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft releases DOS and Word for Windows source code
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:52 AM »
Welcome to another installment of: Microsoft and the "Art of the Empty Gesture."  :P

Is anyone truly surprised?  ;)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:21 PM »
Welcome to another installment of: Microsoft and the "Art of the Empty Gesture."  :P

It's important to stick to your strengths.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Why is it an empty gesture?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08 PM »
How is FreeDOS a commercial use? :huh:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34 PM »
Why is it an empty gesture?

Because it was not "released to the public" in the normal and generally understood sense in which that phrase is applied. This source code has been made available (i.e. licensed) to individuals who agree to some frankly restrictive licensing terms. Hardly the same as "released to the public" in my world. And I doubt I'm the only one on that planet.

I half suspect this release is intended to give Microsoft an excuse to go after virtually any text processing app with the argument that "they must have borrowed some intellectual property from Microsoft" by sheer virtue of the fact Microsoft's source code has been published.

If it sounds crazy, take a look at all the "presumption of piracy" arguments that are being advanced by large corporations and industry groups in support of ridiculous new laws they're lobbying for.

Sorry for sounding cynical. But I really do think the only reason this code is being released is to establish "primacy" and set the stage for charging opponents with "knowing infringement" in future legal battles.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:39 PM by 40hz »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:34 PM »
How is FreeDOS a commercial use? :huh:

FreeDOS itself might not be commercial, but it permits commercial use.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Sorry for sounding cynical. But I really do think the only reason this code is being released is to establish "primacy" and set the stage for charging opponents with "knowing infringement" in future legal battles.

But those terms are no different from the others released by Apple, APL, MacPaint/Quickdraw, and Photoshop.

It seems from the point of history, its a different use than might be thought, but this is nothing new.

The purpose of the Computer History Museum in its own words:
The mission of the Computer History Museum is to preserve and present for posterity the artifacts and stories of the Information Age.

It seems that this is for learning from the past, rather than use.  Which I think is useful for that purpose.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:22 PM »
It seems from the point of history, its a different use than might be thought, but this is nothing new.

The purpose of the Computer History Museum in its own words:
The mission of the Computer History Museum is to preserve and present for posterity the artifacts and stories of the Information Age.

It seems that this is for learning from the past, rather than use.  Which I think is useful for that purpose.

If so (in truth) then that's fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally unrelated but 'sorta related' side note:

The CHM got hit with a DMCA takedown notice for posting the video of Steve Jobs doing his famous inaugural rollout of the Macintosh. That video never returned to the CHM website. Or at least not last I checked.

Guess whoever holds those rights isn't impressed by CHM's mission statement huh?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I half suspect this release is intended to give Microsoft an excuse to go after virtually any text processing app with the argument that "they must have borrowed some intellectual property from Microsoft" by sheer virtue of the fact Microsoft's source code has been published.

I suspect your suspicion borders on the conspiratorial, but I'm also aware of it's validity.  
In the words of the FreeDOS devs:
I'll add a warning that if you download and study the MS-DOS source code, you should not contribute code to FreeDOS afterwards. We want to avoid any suggestion that FreeDOS has been "tainted" by this proprietary code.

:o

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I suspect your suspicion borders on the conspiratorial, but I'm also aware of it's validity.  
In the words of the FreeDOS devs:
I'll add a warning that if you download and study the MS-DOS source code, you should not contribute code to FreeDOS afterwards. We want to avoid any suggestion that FreeDOS has been "tainted" by this proprietary code.

Wow! Here I thought I was indulging in a touch of silly paranoia when along comes the FreeDOS devs weighing in with much the same thinking.

mind_control.gif

Hmm...Could it be we've both dealt with Redmond "up close and personal" and realize no matter how crazy an idea for dealing with your competition you can come up with, Redmond has probably thought up and given it due consideration already?
 :o ;) 8) ;D