ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA - A different type of computer timer

<< < (2/2)

wr975:
I've seen figures suggesting that when a computer is in hibernation it uses about 1% of the power it would use if it were running normally. The CPU fan is off so presumably the CPU isn't powered. I assume that most of the rest of the motherboard is unpowered in hibernation, so how does the computer keep track of when to switch back on? What is using the 1% power?
--- End quote ---

The autoshutdown site has a nice FAQ about this: http://www.lifsoft.com/power/faq.htm

With standby (save to RAM) your system is using some energy, with hibernation (write to disk) the system is completely powered down (that's why it's unaffected from power loss).

computer keep track of when to switch back on?
--- End quote ---

Each motherboard has a battery so your BIOS won't forget settings (like date, time, configuration... and when to wake up). Just need to mention: This wake-up setting isn't supported on every motherboard.

zacharyliu:
Couldn't you just configure your computer to turn on when it gets power, and just use a standard plug-in timer?

chedabob:
If you create a task in the Windows Task Scheduler, it will turn on your PC. I had a pesky backup program that kept turning my PC on every day at 5pm to perform a backup :(

jovejupiter:
I've now been using Auto power-on and shutdown for a while and it looks good. My computer now switches itself on and off at various times during the day. It surprised my wife the first time she saw it do this, leading to a frantic call to me at work to tell me that my computer had started doing strange things all by itself.

I don't know of a way to get the computer to turn on automatically when it gets power.

I tried using the Windows Task Scheduler in the past but it insisted on getting me to log on each time - I need the computer to get up and running on autopilot.

Thanks for all of the advice. Another success for Donation Coder

tinjaw:
I don't know of a way to get the computer to turn on automatically when it gets power.
-jovejupiter (February 06, 2008, 06:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is a setting in almost all BIOSs in the Power Management section. I don't remember what it is labeled and I am at work right now so I can't open the BIOS, but it will be something like On Loss of Power or On Return of Power. The options are usually

* on
* off
* last state

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version